Re: Sarati Vowels

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "darthjed88" <airwaterwind@g...>
      wrote:

      > Are the vowels used in the sarati, and the dipthongs as well, the
      > same as they are with the tengwar? To wit, ah, eh/uh, eeh, ohh, and
      > ooh. Thanks in advance

      My knowledge of Sarati is quite limited but as far as I know, the
      vowels are written beside (left or right) the sarat (unlike the
      tehtar that are placed above - or under, to be precise - the
      tengwar). It seems that long voewls can be placed either on a long
      carrier or doubled and placed above (I think) an appropriate sarat. I
      know nothing about the diphthongs.

      Sorry, Lucy
    • darthjed88
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
        > My knowledge of Sarati is quite limited but as far as I know, the
        > vowels are written beside (left or right) the sarat (unlike the
        > tehtar that are placed above - or under, to be precise - the
        > tengwar). It seems that long voewls can be placed either on a long
        > carrier or doubled and placed above (I think) an appropriate
        sarat. I
        > know nothing about the diphthongs.
        >
        > Sorry, Lucy

        What I mean is, would they be written in sarati the same way as they
        are in tengwar. Would the ah sound be written with an a diacritic,
        the ehh with an e, the aiie with the ae, and so on?
      • j_mach_wust
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "darthjed88" <airwaterwind@g...> wrote:

          > > My knowledge of Sarati is quite limited but as far as I know, the
          > > vowels are written beside (left or right) the sarat (unlike the
          > > tehtar that are placed above - or under, to be precise - the
          > > tengwar). It seems that long voewls can be placed either on a long
          > > carrier or doubled and placed above (I think) an appropriate
          > sarat. I
          > > know nothing about the diphthongs.
          > >
          > > Sorry, Lucy
          >
          > What I mean is, would they be written in sarati the same way as they
          > are in tengwar. Would the ah sound be written with an a diacritic,
          > the ehh with an e, the aiie with the ae, and so on?

          There are differences. But I don't know what sounds you mean. Why do
          you have a _h_ in _ah_, what does _aiie_ have to do with _ae_?

        • darthjed88
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2004
            Alright. The tengwar make use of an ah as in father, an eh/uh as in
            were, an ee as in machine, an oh as in for, and an ooh as in brute.
            Are these also used in the sarati, or are there different sounds
            attached to the vowel signs? That is all I want to know.