Christopher Reeves Dies :(

  • lynn1421@devaddict.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2004
      http://olympics.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6463973

      NEW YORK (Reuters) - "Superman" actor Christopher Reeve, paralyzed when he fell from a horse nine years ago, has died in a New York hospital of heart failure, his publicist said on Monday.

      Reeve, 52, went into a coma on Saturday when he suffered a heart attack during treatment for an infected pressure wound and died in Northern Westchester Hospital on Sunday afternoon without regaining consciousness, publicist Wesley Combs told reporters.

      Reeve's wife Dana issued a statement thanking "the millions of fans around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years."

      Reeve, confined to a wheelchair since his riding accident in 1995, had in recent years campaigned for the rights of the disabled and for stepped-up research into the treatment of spinal cord injuries.

      Reeve's family asked that donations be made in his honor to the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, formed in 1999 to boost collaboration between experts working on treatments for spinal cord damage.

      An accomplished rider who owned several horses, Reeve suffered multiple injuries including two shattered neck vertebrae when he was thrown from his horse at an equestrian event in Commonwealth Park in Virginia.

      Doctors initially predicted that he would never have any feeling or movement below his head. But his foundation's Web site, www.ChristopherReeve.org, said he had experienced a degree of recovery that his doctors considered "remarkable."

      BORN IN NEW YORK
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2004
        > NEW YORK (Reuters) - "Superman" actor Christopher Reeve, paralyzed when
        he fell from a horse nine years ago, has died in a New York hospital of
        heart failure, his publicist said on Monday.

        Sad, but not strictly on-topic, eh? But there exists a comic where
        Superman's "real" name Kal-El is interpreted as Starchild, including EL as
        "an old Kryptonian word meaning star"! Hm, hm!

        - HKF