Can anyone translate my first name???

  • mysticmurray
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
      I only just started studying Quenya, I was just wondering, if my
      first name Murray means, "lives by the sea", "man of the sea"
      or "lord of the sea", how would they by Translated in Quenya?

      I know "man of the sea" should be "sailor" which is "ciryaquen"

      thanks

      Murray
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002

        teithant mysticmurray

        > I only just started studying Quenya, I was just wondering, if my
        first name Murray means, "lives by the sea", "man of the sea"
        or "lord of the sea", how would they by Translated in Quenya?

        I know "man of the sea" should be "sailor" which is "ciryaquen

        * look at http://fly.to/elm.. if your name is not there, "man of  the sea" would best translate as "Earon"

      • Andre Khalip
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
          Wow, see the fellowship of elfish linguists has
          got a lot of work now that the film is out...
          With all that name debate, I started to wonder
          whether Andrei can be translated into something nice,
          rather than Veaner which I don't like too much.
          Apparently, the name means "manly", "man" and so on.
          Veanor would be better, but nor is country, right? Any
          help most welcome...
          Best regards

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Andre Khalip
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
            Wow, see the fellowship of elfish linguists has
            got a lot of work now that the film is out...
            With all that name debate, I started to wonder
            whether Andrei can be translated into something nice,
            rather than Veaner which I don't like too much.
            Apparently, the name means "manly", "man" and so on.
            Veanor would be better, but nor is country, right? Any
            help most welcome...
            Best regards
            Quingwar (Thanks, Gildor)

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002

              teithant Andre Khalip

              >    With all that name debate, I started to wonder

              whether Andrei can be translated into something nice,
              rather than Veaner which I don't like too much.
              Apparently, the name means "manly", "man" and so on.
              Veanor would be better, but nor is country, right? Any
              help most welcome..

              * How about Veon?

            • mysticmurray
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
                * look at http://fly.to/elm.. if your name is not there, "man of
                the sea" would best translate as "Earon"

                * What about Lord of the sea? - although Earon sounds really good.

                so that must mean that "ciryaquen" must mean "man of the boat" then?
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002

                  teithant mysticmurray

                  > What about Lord of the sea? - although Earon sounds really good.

                  * Eartur or Eartar...

                  > so that must mean that "ciryaquen" must mean "man of the boat" then?

                  * yes.. sailor

                • mysticmurray
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
                    Thanks for that

                    So my name (Murray James) in Quenya is either Earon Encaitaro
                    or Eartur Encaitaro

                    Which do you reckon I should choose? I am tempted to go for Eartur
                    and drop the o off Encaitar...