Sindarin / Tengwar

  • Alyssa
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
      I need an acurate transcription done for a tattoo... can anyone help
      me?

      I would just like the word "entwined".

      Thanks so much,

      Sorsha
    • Alyssa
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
        The word entwined doesnt actually exist as far as i could find...
        just something like entangle, or enmesh.... i dunno..

        do i just translate it specifically by letter? or find a word that
        is actually a word in sindarin that would be the same meaning and
        then get the translation for that?

        I could use the font and write it myself but i really want an
        accurate word/translation for what im trying to say.

        thanks =o)

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Alyssa" <sorshat@y...> wrote:
          > The word entwined doesnt actually exist as far as i could find...
          > just something like entangle, or enmesh.... i dunno..
          >
          > do i just translate it specifically by letter? or find a word that
          > is actually a word in sindarin that would be the same meaning and
          > then get the translation for that?
          >
          > I could use the font and write it myself but i really want an
          > accurate word/translation for what im trying to say.

          So: here is the pic I made:

          There are four rows, first 2 showing 'entwined' in two designs, and 2
          rows (the longer ones) showing *_gonathrannen / gonathren_# but these
          two are not for sure (now I mean the translation from English to
          Sindarin).

          As far as this fact I'd propose to choose the English word: and
          please, have it checked by the others of this groups, one never knows
          whether a slip or a mistake wouldn't appear here and there :))
          Lucy

          #We don't know but the Noldorin verb(al stem) for 'entangle, enmesh':
          _gonathra-_ (V:354), root NAT-. If I were to follow the few examples
          we have of passive, I would say *_gonathr(ann)en_.
        • Alyssa
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
            Thank you very much Lucy!!

            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>