Re: Transcription help

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 6, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
      > Suilad bain!
      >
      > I'd like to ask for your help!
      > I'm not really into tengwar English mode (Hungarian instead :D) so
      > I'd like to ask you to help metranscribe the following sentence
      >
      > "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given
      > you"
      >
      > I'd like to give it in tengwar transcription to a dear friend of
      > mine. Please help, I want to make it in the correct way!
      >
      > Le hannon!
      > Aphadiol

      Hello,

      so why don't you send us your draft? :)

      Lucy
    • aphadiol
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>
        wrote:

        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
        > > Suilad bain!
        > >
        > > I'd like to ask for your help!
        > > I'm not really into tengwar English mode (Hungarian instead :D)
        so
        > > I'd like to ask you to help metranscribe the following sentence
        > >
        > > "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is
        given
        > > you"
        > >
        > > I'd like to give it in tengwar transcription to a dear friend of
        > > mine. Please help, I want to make it in the correct way!
        > >
        > > Le hannon!
        > > Aphadiol
        >
        > Hello,
        >
        > so why don't you send us your draft? :)
        >
        > Lucy

        Sorry, I maneged to do it myself after Christopher Tolkien's mode in
        the HoME series.
        And my friend was well pleased with that (though she is also a
        Tolkien-expert :D)

        Thanks anyway!
        Aphadiol
        (It's a bit ironic that this was the same sentence that began that
        flame war :D)
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004

          Aphadiol wrote:
          > Sorry, I maneged to do it myself after Christopher Tolkien's mode
          in
          > the HoME series.
          > And my friend was well pleased with that (though she is also a
          > Tolkien-expert :D)
          >
          > Thanks anyway!
          > Aphadiol
          > (It's a bit ironic that this was the same sentence that began that
          > flame war :D)

          Well, according to your movie-like usage of Sindarin, there is no
          surprise. :)

          You don't even want us to check it? ;)

          Lucy
        • aphadiol
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
            wrote:

            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
            > I wrote:
            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > so why don't you send us your draft? :)
            > > >
            > > > Lucy
            >
            > Aphadiol wrote:
            > > Sorry, I maneged to do it myself after Christopher Tolkien's
            mode
            > in
            > > the HoME series.
            > > And my friend was well pleased with that (though she is also a
            > > Tolkien-expert :D)
            > >
            > > Thanks anyway!
            > > Aphadiol
            > > (It's a bit ironic that this was the same sentence that began
            that
            > > flame war :D)
            >
            > Well, according to your movie-like usage of Sindarin, there is no
            > surprise. :)
            >
            > You don't even want us to check it? ;)
            >
            > Lucy

            I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with tengwar
            here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
            folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
            connection at home... :(

            If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!

            Truly yours!
            Aphadiol
          • j_mach_wust
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:

              > I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with tengwar
              > here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
              > folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
              > connection at home... :(
              >
              > If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!

              That's an easy one (more or less): You can use the Quenya names to
              refer to the tengwar. They are e.g. on Måns Björkman's site:

              http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_names.htm

              The only problem is that we don't really have names for the tehtar
              (the diacritics), but you can describe them roughly, e.g. three dots
              (pointing upwards/downwards), (single) dot (above/below), left-curl
              (i.e. curl open to the left), etc.

              Hope that helps.

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
                > > You don't even want us to check it? ;)
                > >
                > > Lucy
                >
                > I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with
                tengwar
                > here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
                > folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
                > connection at home... :(
                >
                > If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!
                >
                > Truly yours!
                > Aphadiol

                :)) Make a bitmap of it at home (where you have possibility to
                install Tengwar fonts) and upload it to the Files section of this
                group and post us the name (link) of the picture. If you need any
                technical kind of info, contact me personally to my email address
                (you can choose to reply to me only when sending the post).

                Lucy
              • aphadiol
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 11, 2004
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <machhezan@g...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with
                  tengwar
                  > > here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
                  > > folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
                  > > connection at home... :(
                  > >
                  > > If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!
                  >
                  > That's an easy one (more or less): You can use the Quenya names to
                  > refer to the tengwar. They are e.g. on Måns Björkman's site:
                  >
                  > http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_names.htm
                  >
                  > The only problem is that we don't really have names for the tehtar
                  > (the diacritics), but you can describe them roughly, e.g. three dots
                  > (pointing upwards/downwards), (single) dot (above/below), left-curl
                  > (i.e. curl open to the left), etc.

                  Well, thanks anyway... ;)

                  Don't you think that I know all the names of the tengwar? Well I do ;)
                  But it's a long sentence and it'd be complicated to decipher a
                  complete sentence in this way...

                  Anyway I'm tryin' to post it in .doc form.

                  Lin thenin!
                  Aphadiol

                  > ---------------------------
                  > j. 'mach' wust
                  > http://machhezan.tripod.com
                  > ---------------------------
                • aphadiol
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 11, 2004
                    > Well, thanks anyway... ;)
                    >
                    > Don't you think that I know all the names of the tengwar? Well I
                    do ;)
                    > But it's a long sentence and it'd be complicated to decipher a
                    > complete sentence in this way...
                    >
                    > Anyway I'm tryin' to post it in .doc form.
                    >
                    > Lin thenin!
                    > Aphadiol

                    Siniath!

                    I've posted it under the code name of tengwar.doc ;)
                    Please share your comments with me!

                    Aphadiol