Quenya Study-Buddy

  • Turelie
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2004
      Hello all,

      I know some of you are just beginning your studies in Quenya, so I
      would like to extend an invitation. I know it can be hard to get
      going when you're studying alone. Or perhaps you long to study in a
      friendly, laid-back environment, or just want to discuss your
      findings on a basic level before you try to jump in on elfling or
      elfscript. If so, Quenya Study-Buddy was designed with you in mind.

      QSB is beginning group that uses the Quenya Course
      (http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qcourse.htm), and we are always open
      to new members. Next Monday, 10/4, we will re-open discussion on
      Lesson 1, which makes now the perfect time to join. We have members
      from various countries and of all ages, including a handful who have
      already completed most of the course and are willing to help out
      those having trouble. For more information, please check out our
      site. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quenyastudybuddy/

      Turelie Alasselle
      Founder and Co-Owner, QSB
    • elimloth
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Turelie" <snickers_blk@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I know some of you are just beginning your studies in Quenya, so I
        > would like to extend an invitation.[...] Quenya Study-Buddy was
        designed with you in mind.

        How is this new group different/better than the current
        quenya_study_group or quenya?
        E.
      • Turelie
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
          As this is essentially the same question you emailed me, I'm going
          to be lazy and paste part of my response here. ;)

          I am certainly not one to say my group is better than any other, but
          I am more than happy to tell you more about us. Quenya Study-Buddy
          is also an existing group, founded in Feb '04 and with about 50
          members. We are simply starting over because things died over the
          summer. Between internet problems, family emergencies, vacations,
          etc., we lost several members, but we at the same time we gained
          even more new ones that need to cover the basics. So I thought that
          it would be nice to extend an invitation to anyone else interested
          in doing the course.

          My own experience with quenya_study_group was basically that it did
          not suit my needs. I felt sort of lost in the shuffle and I felt
          like I was so far behind I would never catch up. That feeling is
          main reason we focus on a particular course of study and cater
          *specifically* to those new to Quenya. I would imagine we are still
          considerably smaller, and strive to know as many people as we can
          personally, as well as making it a fun place to be. Most of our
          communication to date is through y!m and group chat, or even one-on-
          one emails. It is my understanding that the group Quenya actually
          requires most of their posts to be in the language so it's clearly
          not for beginners.

          It is also interesting to note that QSB literally has it's roots in
          the elfling group. It is actually where I met the founding members.
          I posted a query seeking a buddy to study with and the individual
          response was overwhelming. So many people wanted to try it that I
          actually wound up creating the group so we would have a common place
          to post and chat.

          Turelie