OT? Re: [elfscript] Re: Help me please

  • Patrick H. Wynne
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, <finsen@o...> wrote:

      > There's a novel thought. Somebody actually answering
      > Brendon's question? Without getting a chance to preach
      > to the masses?
      >
      > Here is the original question:
      >
      > "I've wanted to this phrase tattooed for years and just found
      > the phrase translated but i need it _transcripted_ please help
      > ....here is the phrase
      > Ilqua i elve turir, ná mana cililve care i lúmenen antaina
      elven."

      If somebody wrote to this group and asked how to do a
      Tengwar transcription of the phrase "Nothing will ever
      seperate you and I" for a tattoo, I would feel obliged to
      first point out that "seperate" should be spelled "separate",
      and that the concluding accusative phrase should be "you
      and me". Is that really so terrible a thing to do? Most people
      would call it "trying to help", not "preaching to the masses".

      -- Patrick H. Wynne
    • finsen@optusnet.com.au
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004

        Actually I was commenting on Patrick's application of the
        word "kids". But that has been lost in your monumental leaping of
        conclusions.

        > If somebody wrote to this group and asked how to do a
        > Tengwar transcription of the phrase "Nothing will ever
        > seperate you and I" for a tattoo, I would feel obliged to
        > first point out that "seperate" should be spelled "separate",
        > and that the concluding accusative phrase should be "you
        > and me". Is that really so terrible a thing to do? Most people
        > would call it "trying to help", not "preaching to the masses".

        Have I said that it is so incorrect? Mind you, nobody is _still_ answering
        the question. Correcting spelling is _not_ answering his question.

        And frankly if Brendon wants to tattoo "seperate" who are we to object?
        Ahoh....non sequitur...check.

        caio
        Graeme
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
          On Sep 20, 2004, at 8:59 AM, <finsen@...> wrote:

          > nobody is _still_ answering the question.

          Least of all _you_, Graeme. Since you're so concerned about this point,
          why don't you interrupt your addlepated-stream-of-consciousness dialog
          for a few minutes and answer the question _yourself_? (Though given
          Graeme's reasoning abilities, apparent command of the language, and
          stellar proofing abilities, _I_ sure wouldn't trust any answer he
          generated!)

          > And frankly if Brendon wants to tattoo "seperate" who are we to object?

          Indeed, IF we _knew_ that someone wanted that, if they said "I know
          seperate is spelled wrong, but a still want to tattoo it to my body
          anyways", then sure, who would object? But in the absence of such a
          statement, and when someone comes to others for help, it would be
          perverse for them to silently allow that person to permanently decorate
          their body with a typo.

          > Ahoh....non sequitur...check.

          Quite right.
        • Patrick Wynne
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
            On Sep 20, 2004, at 7:59 AM, Graeme wrote:

            > Actually I was commenting on Patrick's application of the
            > word "kids". But that has been lost in your monumental leaping of
            > conclusions.

            So far the only person who has objected to my use of "kids" is
            Graeme. If I have offended anybody else as well, my apologies.
            No pejorative was intended. From the vantage-point of my late
            forties, people in their teens and twenties -- among whom tattoos
            in general, and Tengwar ones in particular, are especially popular
            -- are indeed "kids", that is "young people". So freakin' sue me.

            And yet somehow, Graeme miraculously managed to squelch his
            sense of outrage and NOT protest when Mr. Fauskanger called
            the readership of Elfling "boys and girls" in February of this year:

            "And the conclusion, boys and girls, must be this..."

            >> If somebody wrote to this group and asked how to do a
            >> Tengwar transcription of the phrase "Nothing will ever
            >> seperate you and I" for a tattoo, I would feel obliged to
            >> first point out that "seperate" should be spelled "separate",
            >> and that the concluding accusative phrase should be "you
            >> and me". Is that really so terrible a thing to do? Most people
            >> would call it "trying to help", not "preaching to the masses".

            > Have I said that it is so incorrect? Mind you, nobody is _still_
            > answering the question. Correcting spelling is _not_ answering
            > his question.

            Are you paying attention to this thread at all, Graeme? Hello? Are
            you awake there?

            Helge answered Brendon's question in post 4103, where he wrote,
            "the following code will produce the symbols you want in any of the
            standard Tengwar fonts: `BjzE `B `VjyR 1U7T6 = 5~C t#5# aTjTjyR
            aE7R `B j~Mt$5$5 `C4lE5# `VjyR5".

            And _I_ answered Brendon's question in post 4128, where I noted
            Helge's authorship of the tattoo, which already graces the back
            of a young lady named Susanne, and mentioned that a photograph
            of her Tengwar tattoo could be found at the link I provided.

            -- Patrick H. Wynne
          • finsen@optusnet.com.au
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
              It's good to see an answer from the left

              > Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
              >

              > On Sep 20, 2004, at 8:59 AM, <finsen@...> wrote:
              >
              > > nobody is _still_ answering the question.
              >
              > Least of all _you_, Graeme. Since you're so concerned about this point,

              <snip>
            • finsen@optusnet.com.au
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
                and right hand side of the brain...

                > Patrick Wynne <pwynne@...> wrote:
                >

                > On Sep 20, 2004, at 7:59 AM, Graeme wrote:

                > > Actually I was commenting on Patrick's application of the
                > > word "kids". But that has been lost in your monumental leaping of
                > > conclusions.
                >
                > So far the only person who has objected to my use of "kids" is
                > Graeme. If I have offended anybody else as well, my apologies.
                > No pejorative was intended. From the vantage-point of my late
                > forties, people in their teens and twenties -- among whom tattoos
                > in general, and Tengwar ones in particular, are especially popular
                > -- are indeed "kids", that is "young people". So freakin' sue me.
                >
                > And yet somehow, Graeme miraculously managed to squelch his
                > sense of outrage and NOT protest when Mr. Fauskanger called
                > the readership of Elfling "boys and girls" in February of this year:

                > "And the conclusion, boys and girls, must be this..."

                Probably due to the outrageous use of the delete key :-)

                caio
                Graeme
              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
                  On Sep 20, 2004, at 6:08 PM, finsen@... wrote:

                  > It's good to see an answer from the left
                  > and right hand side of the brain...

                  And another off-topic, vacuous, knee-jerk response from the
                  hind-brain...