Re: Thanks Lucy (calwen76)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "lordofthenine9" <browe@m...> wrote:
      > thanks for the help on fingolfin lucy. i know what you mean by
      > trying to figure out stuff yourself, and ive been trying to do that
      > for a while, but its all a bit confusing.

      No problem, Brandon, it has been my pleasure to help.

      > So, if i did do nolofinwe's name myself, would i just take each
      > letter or 2 letter groups and change it to the corresponding
      > tengwar letter.

      Not exactly and simply as this. Quenya is a language in which
      majority of words end with a vowel - that is the reason why are the
      ómatehtar (vowel signs) written above the PRECEEDING consonant
      tengwa. It is unlike in writing the Sindarin or English text where
      the vowels signs - ómatehtar - are written above the FOLLOWING tengwa
      (and that is the way the transcriber did it).

      > how exacly did you change it from nolofinwe to the tengwar.

      Writing it by hand:

      noldo + open to right curl (O-tehta) above it - lambe + open to right
      curl (O-tehta) above it - formen + dot (I-tehta) above it - numen -
      wilya + accute accent (E-tehta) above it

      Writing it in a Word editor:
      g^j^eT5nF

      but - as I've learnt, as far as I'm working on PC (some guys work on
      Mac) and there are various keyboards, it is better to follow the
      keyboard guides that are usually attached to the font package (e.g.
      Johan Winge's Tengwar Annatar font package includes this pdf file:
      tngandoc.pdf where you can find the keys, or Dan Smith's font package
      includes a keyboard map that is actually copied by many authors of PC
      Tengwar fonts).

      Hope this helps you to start writing other transcription yourself.
      I'm ready to answer your further questions if they come :)