Fingolfin's Name in the Tengwar

  • lordofthenine9
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2004
      im trying to translate and transcribe Fingolfin's name into the
      tengwar script. i found on the english-quenya word list that his
      name in quenya is Nolofinwë. when i transcribed it at
      www.tengwar.art.pl/ott/english.php, it gave me the
      letters/numbers/symbols 5jYeY5%y. is this correct? im using the
      tengwar annatar font. let me know somebody please. thanks
      brandon
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "lordofthenine9" <browe@m...> wrote:
        > im trying to translate and transcribe Fingolfin's name into the
        > tengwar script. i found on the english-quenya word list that his
        > name in quenya is Nolofinwë. when i transcribed it at
        > www.tengwar.art.pl/ott/english.php, it gave me the
        > letters/numbers/symbols 5jYeY5%y. is this correct? im using the
        > tengwar annatar font. let me know somebody please. thanks
        > brandon

        1. Fingolfin is a Sindarized form of Quenya/Old Noldorin _Finwë
        Ñolofinwë_ (the _N_ is with a wave, sg like soft _ng_ in EN _sing_).
        2. The transcriber is wrong - the transcription lacks the final _e_
        vowel and this more or less Quenya name is transcribed in a mode that
        is usually used for Sindarin.

        See this picture:

        groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/calwen76/fingolfin.gif

        -The first row shows the transcriber's work.
        -The second shows _Ñolofinwë_ in a mode that was used in the First
        Age, when this name was first used - see Silmarillion index, entry
        Fingolfin:
        -this entry also reminds us another name that was Fingolfin called in
        Valinor: _Arakáno_, see the third row for the transcription.

        Finally, it is always better to spend little time to learn bit of
        Tengwar and write the name (or whatever you want to) down by yourself
        than to rely on transcribers. They are not trustworthy. We are open
        to help you, and to be honest, I do prefer and welcome to help folk's
        own endeavor, but it's but my problem, right? :)

        Lucy
      • laurifindil
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 15, 2004
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>
          wrote:

          <snip>

          > See this picture:
          >
          > groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/calwen76/fingolfin.gif

          I like the font ! :)

          Don't think I have a copy of this one.

          Can you give us the name and the link to get it, thanks.

          E. Kloczko
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 15, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:
            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > <snip>
            >

            > > See this picture:
            > >
            > > groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/calwen76/fingolfin.gif
            >
            > I like the font ! :)
            >
            > Don't think I have a copy of this one.
            >
            > Can you give us the name and the link to get it, thanks.
            >
            > E. Kloczko

            Well, it's Tengwar Annatar by Johan Winge:

            http://home.student.uu.se/j/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html