Re: Help me please

  • Patrick H. Wynne
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 13, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:

      > Don't forget that this is NOT Tolkien Elvish at all but a Mish-Mash
      > Language which only "looks" like Tolkien Con Lang. It's no better
      > than any other kind of Gibberish.

      What Edouard said.

      Since the subject header of the original post was "Help me
      please", I'll offer some advice -- kids, I realize that tengwar
      tattoos of "elvish" phrases are all the rage right now, but
      getting a phrase in a language that you yourself don't understand
      _permanently embossed on your body_ is a really, really BAD
      IDEA. And when the language in question is one that NOBODY
      really fully understands -- both Quenya and Sindarin are only
      poorly and partially attested languages, and moreover their
      grammar and vocabulary changed constantly during the 60-
      or-so years Tolkien worked on them -- the chances for error
      become even more high.

      -- Patrick H. Wynne
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 23, 2004
        > On Sep 20, 2004, at 2:01 AM, calwen76 wrote:
        >
        > > My suggestion to Brendon (and Pat and Carl would probably agree) is to
        get the English sentence (All we have to decide is what to do with the time
        given to us) transcribed in Tengwar and get this tattooed.

        That is what I said too, if he needs a text that is ABSOLUTELY certain. In
        this field, we rarely deal with absolutes (whether when analyzing Tolkien's
        own material, or when composing in Eldarin ourselves). After all, the
        subject matter itself constantly changed and mutated inside Tolkien's head.
        For that reason it is rarely possible to compose substantial texts in
        Elvish that can be definitely demonstrated to be entirely in agreement with
        Tolkien's ideas (the ideas themselves changing so often), but often it
        would be equally different to prove that the more serious attempts to use
        Tolkien's words and grammar definitely include errors. Rather it is simply
        one person's gut feeling vs. that of another.

        - HKF