Re: Help me please

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 13, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "studdedleather14"
      <studdedleather14@y...> wrote:
      > I've wanted to this phrase tattooed for years and just found the
      > phrase translated but i need it transcripted please help....here
      is
      > the phrase
      >

      > Ilqua i elve turir, ná mana cililve care i lúmenen antaina elven.

      Don't forget that this is NOT Tolkien Elvish at all but a Mish-Mash
      Language which only "looks" like Tolkien Con Lang. It's no better
      than any other kind of Gibberish.

      E. Kloczko
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 23, 2004
        > On Sep 20, 2004, at 2:01 AM, calwen76 wrote:
        >
        > > My suggestion to Brendon (and Pat and Carl would probably agree) is to
        get the English sentence (All we have to decide is what to do with the time
        given to us) transcribed in Tengwar and get this tattooed.

        That is what I said too, if he needs a text that is ABSOLUTELY certain. In
        this field, we rarely deal with absolutes (whether when analyzing Tolkien's
        own material, or when composing in Eldarin ourselves). After all, the
        subject matter itself constantly changed and mutated inside Tolkien's head.
        For that reason it is rarely possible to compose substantial texts in
        Elvish that can be definitely demonstrated to be entirely in agreement with
        Tolkien's ideas (the ideas themselves changing so often), but often it
        would be equally different to prove that the more serious attempts to use
        Tolkien's words and grammar definitely include errors. Rather it is simply
        one person's gut feeling vs. that of another.

        - HKF