Re: Transcription help

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 5, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "mel_macrae" <mel_macrae@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Everybody,
      >
      > I am very new to the world of "translating" words/names etc into
      > Sindarin, although I have been a fan of JRR Tolkien for years ( not
      > just since the movies came out!)

      Hello and welcome!

      > Anyway, I was wondering where would be the best place to go to get
      > the name "Damian" translated,

      see www.behindthename.com to learn what the name means
      or some suggestions are given here:
      www.elvish.org/elm/names.html or here:
      www.councilofelrond.com -> Menu/Languages/Elvish Names Database

      but it is always better to know the etymology of the name and then
      translate it on your own:

      from www.behindthename.com:

      DAMIAN m
      Usage: English, Polish
      Pronounced: DAY-mee-an
      From the Greek name Damianos which was derived from Greek _daman_ "to
      tame".

      Well, I'm not aware of a possible Sindarin/Noldorin word for "to
      tame" and I am not sure whether "(to) master, conquer, wield" could
      substitute it here... Well, if so, then *_Torthir, Torh(i)on,
      Torthor, Torthil_ *could be* possible translations of the name Damian
      (by my proposal).

      > and also where would I go to get a design of this name in Tengwar
      > cursive (Sindarin)?

      have a look here:
      http://www.sweb.cz/calwen.rudh/Fonts&guides.htm

      to learn a bit of the magic script(s) - but first, take a look to
      Appendix E of The Lord of the Rings.

      Lucy
    • aphadiol
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 27, 2004
        Suilad bain!

        I'd like to ask for your help!
        I'm not really into tengwar English mode (Hungarian instead :D) so
        I'd like to ask you to help metranscribe the following sentence

        "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to
        you"

        I'd like to give it in tengwar transcription to a dear friend of
        mine. Please help, I want to make it in the correct way!

        Le hannon!
        Aphadiol
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 6, 2004
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
          > Suilad bain!
          >
          > I'd like to ask for your help!
          > I'm not really into tengwar English mode (Hungarian instead :D) so
          > I'd like to ask you to help metranscribe the following sentence
          >
          > "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given
          > you"
          >
          > I'd like to give it in tengwar transcription to a dear friend of
          > mine. Please help, I want to make it in the correct way!
          >
          > Le hannon!
          > Aphadiol

          Hello,

          so why don't you send us your draft? :)

          Lucy
        • aphadiol
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>
            wrote:

            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
            > > Suilad bain!
            > >
            > > I'd like to ask for your help!
            > > I'm not really into tengwar English mode (Hungarian instead :D)
            so
            > > I'd like to ask you to help metranscribe the following sentence
            > >
            > > "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is
            given
            > > you"
            > >
            > > I'd like to give it in tengwar transcription to a dear friend of
            > > mine. Please help, I want to make it in the correct way!
            > >
            > > Le hannon!
            > > Aphadiol
            >
            > Hello,
            >
            > so why don't you send us your draft? :)
            >
            > Lucy

            Sorry, I maneged to do it myself after Christopher Tolkien's mode in
            the HoME series.
            And my friend was well pleased with that (though she is also a
            Tolkien-expert :D)

            Thanks anyway!
            Aphadiol
            (It's a bit ironic that this was the same sentence that began that
            flame war :D)
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004

              Aphadiol wrote:
              > Sorry, I maneged to do it myself after Christopher Tolkien's mode
              in
              > the HoME series.
              > And my friend was well pleased with that (though she is also a
              > Tolkien-expert :D)
              >
              > Thanks anyway!
              > Aphadiol
              > (It's a bit ironic that this was the same sentence that began that
              > flame war :D)

              Well, according to your movie-like usage of Sindarin, there is no
              surprise. :)

              You don't even want us to check it? ;)

              Lucy
            • aphadiol
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
                wrote:

                > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
                > I wrote:
                > > > Hello,
                > > >
                > > > so why don't you send us your draft? :)
                > > >
                > > > Lucy
                >
                > Aphadiol wrote:
                > > Sorry, I maneged to do it myself after Christopher Tolkien's
                mode
                > in
                > > the HoME series.
                > > And my friend was well pleased with that (though she is also a
                > > Tolkien-expert :D)
                > >
                > > Thanks anyway!
                > > Aphadiol
                > > (It's a bit ironic that this was the same sentence that began
                that
                > > flame war :D)
                >
                > Well, according to your movie-like usage of Sindarin, there is no
                > surprise. :)
                >
                > You don't even want us to check it? ;)
                >
                > Lucy

                I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with tengwar
                here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
                folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
                connection at home... :(

                If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!

                Truly yours!
                Aphadiol
              • j_mach_wust
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:

                  > I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with tengwar
                  > here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
                  > folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
                  > connection at home... :(
                  >
                  > If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!

                  That's an easy one (more or less): You can use the Quenya names to
                  refer to the tengwar. They are e.g. on Måns Björkman's site:

                  http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_names.htm

                  The only problem is that we don't really have names for the tehtar
                  (the diacritics), but you can describe them roughly, e.g. three dots
                  (pointing upwards/downwards), (single) dot (above/below), left-curl
                  (i.e. curl open to the left), etc.

                  Hope that helps.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
                    --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
                    > > You don't even want us to check it? ;)
                    > >
                    > > Lucy
                    >
                    > I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with
                    tengwar
                    > here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
                    > folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
                    > connection at home... :(
                    >
                    > If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!
                    >
                    > Truly yours!
                    > Aphadiol

                    :)) Make a bitmap of it at home (where you have possibility to
                    install Tengwar fonts) and upload it to the Files section of this
                    group and post us the name (link) of the picture. If you need any
                    technical kind of info, contact me personally to my email address
                    (you can choose to reply to me only when sending the post).

                    Lucy
                  • aphadiol
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 11, 2004
                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <machhezan@g...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with
                      tengwar
                      > > here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
                      > > folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
                      > > connection at home... :(
                      > >
                      > > If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!
                      >
                      > That's an easy one (more or less): You can use the Quenya names to
                      > refer to the tengwar. They are e.g. on Måns Björkman's site:
                      >
                      > http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_names.htm
                      >
                      > The only problem is that we don't really have names for the tehtar
                      > (the diacritics), but you can describe them roughly, e.g. three dots
                      > (pointing upwards/downwards), (single) dot (above/below), left-curl
                      > (i.e. curl open to the left), etc.

                      Well, thanks anyway... ;)

                      Don't you think that I know all the names of the tengwar? Well I do ;)
                      But it's a long sentence and it'd be complicated to decipher a
                      complete sentence in this way...

                      Anyway I'm tryin' to post it in .doc form.

                      Lin thenin!
                      Aphadiol

                      > ---------------------------
                      > j. 'mach' wust
                      > http://machhezan.tripod.com
                      > ---------------------------
                    • aphadiol
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 11, 2004
                        > Well, thanks anyway... ;)
                        >
                        > Don't you think that I know all the names of the tengwar? Well I
                        do ;)
                        > But it's a long sentence and it'd be complicated to decipher a
                        > complete sentence in this way...
                        >
                        > Anyway I'm tryin' to post it in .doc form.
                        >
                        > Lin thenin!
                        > Aphadiol

                        Siniath!

                        I've posted it under the code name of tengwar.doc ;)
                        Please share your comments with me!

                        Aphadiol