Transcription help

  • mel_macrae
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2004
      Hi Everybody,

      I am very new to the world of "translating" words/names etc into
      Sindarin, although I have been a fan of JRR Tolkien for years ( not
      just since the movies came out!)

      Anyway, I was wondering where would be the best place to go to get the
      name "Damian" translated, and also where would I go to get a design of
      this name in Tengwar cursive (Sindarin)?

      Thanks!
      Melissa
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "mel_macrae" <mel_macrae@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Everybody,
        >
        > I am very new to the world of "translating" words/names etc into
        > Sindarin, although I have been a fan of JRR Tolkien for years ( not
        > just since the movies came out!)

        Hello and welcome!

        > Anyway, I was wondering where would be the best place to go to get
        > the name "Damian" translated,

        see www.behindthename.com to learn what the name means
        or some suggestions are given here:
        www.elvish.org/elm/names.html or here:
        www.councilofelrond.com -> Menu/Languages/Elvish Names Database

        but it is always better to know the etymology of the name and then
        translate it on your own:

        from www.behindthename.com:

        DAMIAN m
        Usage: English, Polish
        Pronounced: DAY-mee-an
        From the Greek name Damianos which was derived from Greek _daman_ "to
        tame".

        Well, I'm not aware of a possible Sindarin/Noldorin word for "to
        tame" and I am not sure whether "(to) master, conquer, wield" could
        substitute it here... Well, if so, then *_Torthir, Torh(i)on,
        Torthor, Torthil_ *could be* possible translations of the name Damian
        (by my proposal).

        > and also where would I go to get a design of this name in Tengwar
        > cursive (Sindarin)?

        have a look here:
        http://www.sweb.cz/calwen.rudh/Fonts&guides.htm

        to learn a bit of the magic script(s) - but first, take a look to
        Appendix E of The Lord of the Rings.

        Lucy
      • aphadiol
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 27, 2004
          Suilad bain!

          I'd like to ask for your help!
          I'm not really into tengwar English mode (Hungarian instead :D) so
          I'd like to ask you to help metranscribe the following sentence

          "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to
          you"

          I'd like to give it in tengwar transcription to a dear friend of
          mine. Please help, I want to make it in the correct way!

          Le hannon!
          Aphadiol
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 6, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
            > Suilad bain!
            >
            > I'd like to ask for your help!
            > I'm not really into tengwar English mode (Hungarian instead :D) so
            > I'd like to ask you to help metranscribe the following sentence
            >
            > "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given
            > you"
            >
            > I'd like to give it in tengwar transcription to a dear friend of
            > mine. Please help, I want to make it in the correct way!
            >
            > Le hannon!
            > Aphadiol

            Hello,

            so why don't you send us your draft? :)

            Lucy
          • aphadiol
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>
              wrote:

              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
              > > Suilad bain!
              > >
              > > I'd like to ask for your help!
              > > I'm not really into tengwar English mode (Hungarian instead :D)
              so
              > > I'd like to ask you to help metranscribe the following sentence
              > >
              > > "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is
              given
              > > you"
              > >
              > > I'd like to give it in tengwar transcription to a dear friend of
              > > mine. Please help, I want to make it in the correct way!
              > >
              > > Le hannon!
              > > Aphadiol
              >
              > Hello,
              >
              > so why don't you send us your draft? :)
              >
              > Lucy

              Sorry, I maneged to do it myself after Christopher Tolkien's mode in
              the HoME series.
              And my friend was well pleased with that (though she is also a
              Tolkien-expert :D)

              Thanks anyway!
              Aphadiol
              (It's a bit ironic that this was the same sentence that began that
              flame war :D)
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 7, 2004

                Aphadiol wrote:
                > Sorry, I maneged to do it myself after Christopher Tolkien's mode
                in
                > the HoME series.
                > And my friend was well pleased with that (though she is also a
                > Tolkien-expert :D)
                >
                > Thanks anyway!
                > Aphadiol
                > (It's a bit ironic that this was the same sentence that began that
                > flame war :D)

                Well, according to your movie-like usage of Sindarin, there is no
                surprise. :)

                You don't even want us to check it? ;)

                Lucy
              • aphadiol
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
                  wrote:

                  > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
                  > I wrote:
                  > > > Hello,
                  > > >
                  > > > so why don't you send us your draft? :)
                  > > >
                  > > > Lucy
                  >
                  > Aphadiol wrote:
                  > > Sorry, I maneged to do it myself after Christopher Tolkien's
                  mode
                  > in
                  > > the HoME series.
                  > > And my friend was well pleased with that (though she is also a
                  > > Tolkien-expert :D)
                  > >
                  > > Thanks anyway!
                  > > Aphadiol
                  > > (It's a bit ironic that this was the same sentence that began
                  that
                  > > flame war :D)
                  >
                  > Well, according to your movie-like usage of Sindarin, there is no
                  > surprise. :)
                  >
                  > You don't even want us to check it? ;)
                  >
                  > Lucy

                  I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with tengwar
                  here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
                  folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
                  connection at home... :(

                  If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!

                  Truly yours!
                  Aphadiol
                • j_mach_wust
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
                    --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:

                    > I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with tengwar
                    > here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
                    > folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
                    > connection at home... :(
                    >
                    > If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!

                    That's an easy one (more or less): You can use the Quenya names to
                    refer to the tengwar. They are e.g. on Måns Björkman's site:

                    http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_names.htm

                    The only problem is that we don't really have names for the tehtar
                    (the diacritics), but you can describe them roughly, e.g. three dots
                    (pointing upwards/downwards), (single) dot (above/below), left-curl
                    (i.e. curl open to the left), etc.

                    Hope that helps.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
                      > > You don't even want us to check it? ;)
                      > >
                      > > Lucy
                      >
                      > I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with
                      tengwar
                      > here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
                      > folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
                      > connection at home... :(
                      >
                      > If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!
                      >
                      > Truly yours!
                      > Aphadiol

                      :)) Make a bitmap of it at home (where you have possibility to
                      install Tengwar fonts) and upload it to the Files section of this
                      group and post us the name (link) of the picture. If you need any
                      technical kind of info, contact me personally to my email address
                      (you can choose to reply to me only when sending the post).

                      Lucy
                    • aphadiol
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 11, 2004
                        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <machhezan@g...>
                        wrote:

                        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "aphadiol" <felagund@f...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I'd like to post it, but I have no opportunity to write with
                        tengwar
                        > > here on the PC of the universiti (°%@&# admins blocked the Fonts
                        > > folder so I can't install tengwar fonts and I don't have net
                        > > connection at home... :(
                        > >
                        > > If you can find a solution for this problem, please tell me!
                        >
                        > That's an easy one (more or less): You can use the Quenya names to
                        > refer to the tengwar. They are e.g. on Måns Björkman's site:
                        >
                        > http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_names.htm
                        >
                        > The only problem is that we don't really have names for the tehtar
                        > (the diacritics), but you can describe them roughly, e.g. three dots
                        > (pointing upwards/downwards), (single) dot (above/below), left-curl
                        > (i.e. curl open to the left), etc.

                        Well, thanks anyway... ;)

                        Don't you think that I know all the names of the tengwar? Well I do ;)
                        But it's a long sentence and it'd be complicated to decipher a
                        complete sentence in this way...

                        Anyway I'm tryin' to post it in .doc form.

                        Lin thenin!
                        Aphadiol

                        > ---------------------------
                        > j. 'mach' wust
                        > http://machhezan.tripod.com
                        > ---------------------------
                      • aphadiol
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 11, 2004
                          > Well, thanks anyway... ;)
                          >
                          > Don't you think that I know all the names of the tengwar? Well I
                          do ;)
                          > But it's a long sentence and it'd be complicated to decipher a
                          > complete sentence in this way...
                          >
                          > Anyway I'm tryin' to post it in .doc form.
                          >
                          > Lin thenin!
                          > Aphadiol

                          Siniath!

                          I've posted it under the code name of tengwar.doc ;)
                          Please share your comments with me!

                          Aphadiol