Re: My name... :P

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2004
      Viktor wrote:
      > From: "i_degilbor" <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...>
      >
      > > Teithant Anja:
      > >> Also, since the translation of my name is Lúthien I would veru
      > >> much like to know if there is a "right" way to write that name.
      > >> Does it occur anywhere in Tolkien's works written in Tengwar?
      >
      > > It does. Tolkien spelt _Lúthien_ the following way:
      > > lambe - long carrier + left curl - thúle + single over-dot -
      > > short carrier + acute accent - númen
      >
      > In _The Lay of Leithian_ (III:299; cf. DTS 23 & VT10:9-12) we see
      > yet another transcription of this name:
      > lambe - vala + "following w"-tehta - thule - short carrier + single
      > over-dot - stemless calma - númen.

      Indeed. However, this is written in a specialized (phonemic) English
      mode.

    • Anja Johansson
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
        Hello again!

        Thank you so much everyone for all the replies. :) Amazing!

        Just one more question...or two. How exactly do we pronounce _noldo_? Is it really <nj>or is it the "ng"-sound in for instance "Boring"? I am a bit confused.

        Also, is there a way of knowing if an elvish word, say "Arwen" is pronounced with a thrilled r or not? I assume that Arwen has a thrilled r, but what about Aragorn or Elrond? Are there grammar for such things or do I just have to memorize everything? :P

        Hannon le!

        Anja aka Lúthien
      • laurifindil
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Anja Johansson <anjjo615@s...>
          wrote:
          > Hello again!
          >
          > Thank you so much everyone for all the replies. :) Amazing!
          >
          > Just one more question...or two. How exactly do we pronounce
          _noldo_? Is it really <nj>or is it the "ng"-sound in for
          instance "Boring"? I am a bit confused.

          > Also, is there a way of knowing if an elvish word, say "Arwen" is
          >pronounced with a thrilled r or not? I assume that Arwen has a
          >thrilled r, but what about Aragorn or Elrond? Are there grammar for
          >such things or do I just have to memorize everything? :P

          All r's in Tolkien Elvish are thrilled.

          Read LOTR, appendix E and F, thank you.

          > Hannon le!

          That sentence is NOT Tolkien-Elvish.