My name... :P

  • Anja Johansson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2004
      Hello.

      I know you get mostly name translations which is probably boring, but I was somehow wondering how to, not translate, but write my name in Sindarin. My name is Anja, and I pronounce it A as in "Arwen"(areally deep a) and "j" almost like an "i". So, would it be correct to write it as: _númen_(with a-dots)+c(the a-symbol with an i-dot)? Or should I use the _anna_ for the "j" sound? Also, do you think I should use the Sindarin Standard Mode or the Beleriand Mode? I actually prefer the latter because of the beautiful vowels, but is there a standard form used for names?

      Also, since the translation of my name is Lúthien I would veru much like to know if there is a "right" way to write that name. Does it occur anywhere in Tolkien's works written in Tengwar?

      Thank you very much, I'm very new to this. :P

      Hugs,

      Anja aka Lúthien.
    • Verce Tinuviel
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 2004
        Anja Johansson wrote:

        > Hello.
        >
        > I know you get mostly name translations which is probably boring, but I was somehow wondering how to, not translate, but write my name in Sindarin. My name is Anja, and I pronounce it A as in "Arwen"(areally deep a) and "j" almost like an "i". So, would it be correct to write it as: _númen_(with a-dots)+c(the a-symbol with an i-dot)? Or should I use the _anna_ for the "j" sound? Also, do you think I should use the Sindarin Standard Mode or the Beleriand Mode? I actually prefer the latter because of the beautiful vowels, but is there a standard form used for names?
        >
        > Also, since the translation of my name is Lúthien I would veru much like to know if there is a "right" way to write that name. Does it occur anywhere in Tolkien's works written in Tengwar?
        >
        > Thank you very much, I'm very new to this. :P
        >
        > Hugs,
        >
        > Anja aka Lúthien.

        If I recall correctly, Professor Tolkien wrote "Luthien Tinuviel" in
        Tengwar next to one of the medallion designs he drafted for her. It is
        included in the book Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien.

        I am sorry I cannot be definitive about this just now, but have loaned
        the book to a friend, so do not have it to hand for reference.

        It is out of print, by you may be able to get a copy at your local
        library, and it sometimes shows up on eBay. It has other Tengwar
        inscriptions by Tolkien as well, so it is worth a look if you can get
        your hands on a copy.

        Regards,

        Verce

        --
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Verce Tinuviel
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2004
          Teithant Anja:
          > Also, since the translation of my name is Lúthien I would veru much like =
          to know if there is a "right" way to write that name. Does it occur anywhere=
          in Tolkien's works written in Tengwar?

          It does. Tolkien spelt _Lúthien_ the following way:
          lambe - long carrier + left curl - thúle + single over-dot - short carrier =
          + acute accent - númen

          Though in Appendix E of LotR Tolkien tells us that in Sindarin uses places =
          the vowel tehtar above the following consonant tengwar, he did it the other =
          way around when writing _Lúthien Tinúviel_. Perhaps this was to represent an=
          older convention. In any case, it would be easy to change to the more 'usua=
          l' way by moving the tehtar for 'i' and 'e' to the following tengwar.

          Cuio mae, Danny.
        • j_mach_wust
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30, 2004
            Anja Johansson wrote:
            > I was somehow wondering how to, not translate, but write my
            > name in Sindarin. My name is Anja, and I pronounce it A as
            > in "Arwen"(areally deep a) and "j" almost like an "i". So, would it
            > be correct to write it as: _númen_(with a-dots)+c(the a-symbol with
            > an i-dot)? Or should I use the _anna_ for the "j" sound?

            I wouldn't suggest to use the stemless calma (that c-shaped a-sign)
            but for the representation of English <ea, oa> (or maybe for
            diphthongs that end with unstressed schwa).

            There's two more possibilities for the transcription of your name.
            You could represent the <j> with two dots below nuumen or you could
            use noldo for the representation of both <nj>.

            If you're writing according to traditional orthography, then I'd
            think that the use of anna would be most appropriate. Of course,
            you'd need a short carrier for the final _a_.

            > Also, do you think I should use the Sindarin Standard Mode or the
            > Beleriand Mode? I actually prefer the latter because of the
            > beautiful vowels, but is there a standard form used for names?

            I'd rather suggest you to base the transcription of your name on an
            English mode, since the Sindarin modes are quite peculiar.
            Additionally, if you're Scandinavian, then English is much closer to
            your language than Sindarin. However, you have the same choice within
            the English modes: You can represent the vowels either with tehtar or
            with normal letters.

          • Viktor Epp
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 30, 2004
              From: "i_degilbor" <Uialdil_i_degilbor@...>

              > Teithant Anja:
              >> Also, since the translation of my name is Lúthien I would veru much
              > like to know if there is a "right" way to write that name. Does it occur
              > anywhere in Tolkien's works written in Tengwar?

              > It does. Tolkien spelt _Lúthien_ the following way:
              > lambe - long carrier + left curl - thúle + single over-dot - short carrier
              > + acute accent - númen

              In _The Lay of Leithian_ (III:299; cf. DTS 23 & VT10:9-12) we see yet
              another transcription of this name:
              lambe - vala + "following w"-tehta - thule - short carrier + single over-dot -
              stemless calma - númen.

              Viktor
            • j_mach_wust
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31, 2004
                Viktor wrote:
                > From: "i_degilbor" <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...>
                >
                > > Teithant Anja:
                > >> Also, since the translation of my name is Lúthien I would veru
                > >> much like to know if there is a "right" way to write that name.
                > >> Does it occur anywhere in Tolkien's works written in Tengwar?
                >
                > > It does. Tolkien spelt _Lúthien_ the following way:
                > > lambe - long carrier + left curl - thúle + single over-dot -
                > > short carrier + acute accent - númen
                >
                > In _The Lay of Leithian_ (III:299; cf. DTS 23 & VT10:9-12) we see
                > yet another transcription of this name:
                > lambe - vala + "following w"-tehta - thule - short carrier + single
                > over-dot - stemless calma - númen.

                Indeed. However, this is written in a specialized (phonemic) English
                mode.

              • Anja Johansson
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
                  Hello again!

                  Thank you so much everyone for all the replies. :) Amazing!

                  Just one more question...or two. How exactly do we pronounce _noldo_? Is it really <nj>or is it the "ng"-sound in for instance "Boring"? I am a bit confused.

                  Also, is there a way of knowing if an elvish word, say "Arwen" is pronounced with a thrilled r or not? I assume that Arwen has a thrilled r, but what about Aragorn or Elrond? Are there grammar for such things or do I just have to memorize everything? :P

                  Hannon le!

                  Anja aka Lúthien
                • laurifindil
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
                    --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Anja Johansson <anjjo615@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hello again!
                    >
                    > Thank you so much everyone for all the replies. :) Amazing!
                    >
                    > Just one more question...or two. How exactly do we pronounce
                    _noldo_? Is it really <nj>or is it the "ng"-sound in for
                    instance "Boring"? I am a bit confused.

                    > Also, is there a way of knowing if an elvish word, say "Arwen" is
                    >pronounced with a thrilled r or not? I assume that Arwen has a
                    >thrilled r, but what about Aragorn or Elrond? Are there grammar for
                    >such things or do I just have to memorize everything? :P

                    All r's in Tolkien Elvish are thrilled.

                    Read LOTR, appendix E and F, thank you.

                    > Hannon le!

                    That sentence is NOT Tolkien-Elvish.