Re: [elfscript] help with writing with the font

  • Harri Perälä
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2 2:22 PM
      keeper_of_the_arctic_flame wrote:

      > I'd like to write my name "Kirsi" with "Tengwar Quenya" font...

      If that is the Finnish name Kirsi, the pronunciation is [kirsi], with a
      trilled r. Writing that should be fairly simple, regardless of what mode
      one wishes to use. There is, of course, no official tengwar spelling for
      Finnish. The closest equivalent can be probably found in the Finnish
      translation of The Lord of the Rings (the one-volume edition), where the
      title page inscription is translated into Finnish. In the inscription,
      the translator uses quesse for k and rómen for r (in all positions). The
      mode mostly follows the original one, but tehtar are placed above the
      previous tengwa, which suits Finnish better.

      So, a reasonable spelling would be

      quesse+dot rómen silme(nuquerna)+dot

      If you would prefer to use the spelling of Quenya, you can replace
      quesse with calma. The s could perhaps be written with a hook attached
      to the rómen, if it looks nicer. I can't provide any of these in the
      Tengwar Quenya keymapping right now, but if you need them, I'm sure
      somebody else will help.

      Oh, and a disclaimer: I am not an expert, so I hope you get a second
      opinion. I am still rather uncomfortable with giving advice for tengwar
      tattoos (which seem to be quite popular at the moment, for some reason)
      :)

      Hope this helped,

      --
      Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
    • Harri Perälä
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3 3:05 AM
        Gildor Inglorion wrote:

        > teithant keeper_of_the_arctic_flame
        > > I'd like to write my name "Kirsi" with "Tengwar Quenya" font...
        >
        > * write "aG6iG" with this font and you will have the desired result
        [That is, calma+i óre silme(nuquerna)+i]

        My own reply was perhaps unnecessarily long and confusing, so let me
        explain how our answers relate. The above is how the name is written in
        the mode of writing normally used for Quenya. (In my reply, I forgot to
        mention that óre, not rómen, should be used for preconsonantal r in this
        mode.) Now that I reread the original message, "Quenyan" is indeed
        mentioned, so I quess this is what was wanted.

        Just in case, I'll also clarify something that is often confused: the
        Tengwar Quenya font can be used for writing in any mode and language;
        the name is just a name. For example, the "Finnish LotR" spelling I
        suggested would be zG7iG with this font.

        --
        Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
      • keeper_of_the_arctic_flame
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3 2:01 PM