Re: [elfscript] Re: names

  • morwen_eledhwen@mailbug.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
      Suil mellyn...

      On August 12, 2004 at 6:46pm -0000, "calwen76" wrote:
      >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "victoria44082"
      ><victoriaclose@b...> wrote:
      >
      >> victoria = nacilme. i have tried writing it our in a script that i
      >> like, but im not sure, i think i may have the "c" wrong and am
      >> almost certain the "n" isnt right. i was just wondering if someone
      >
      >Well, this is a possible name, though we can't be sure. The language
      >is Quenya, so we shall use a style for Quenya:
      >[...]
      >Lucy

      If you were to translate "Victoria" into Sindarin rather than Quenya, would it
      be something like _Turwen_ (literally 'maiden of victory'), _Turien_, perhaps
      _Turiel_ or _Tureth_ ??? What do you all think?

      Cuio mae,
      Rodwen Celuien na-Hirwaith

      Turwaith: hebron o guren, ar meleth o cuilen.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, morwen_eledhwen@m... wrote:
        > Suil mellyn...
        > If you were to translate "Victoria" into Sindarin rather than
        Quenya, would it
        > be something like _Turwen_ (literally 'maiden of victory'),
        _Turien_, perhaps
        > _Turiel_ or _Tureth_ ??? What do you all think?

        Well, BMHO, *_Túrwen_ or *_Túriel_ with a long stem vowel.

        Lucy
      • victoria44082
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
          that's one of the answers i got, thank you so much. i really just
          wanted it to be right. i also tried writing just victoria out in
          elvish, but i thought if i was going to do it i may aswell do it
          properly and get a translation. when i looked up my name it had
          several versions for victoria, including Mapare and Ture. i just
          picked the one i liked the sound of most. i just have to go back to
          my goldsmith now. he nearly died when i showed him an example of
          what i wanted doing- seems to think it might be complicated. i think
          its good to have a challenge every now and then.
          thank you again

          victoria

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>