Re: names

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "victoria44082"
      <victoriaclose@b...> wrote:

      > victoria = nacilme. i have tried writing it our in a script that i
      > like, but im not sure, i think i may have the "c" wrong and am
      > almost certain the "n" isnt right. i was just wondering if someone

      Well, this is a possible name, though we can't be sure. The language
      is Quenya, so we shall use a style for Quenya:

      numen + triple dot above it - calma + dot above it - lambe - malta +
      accute accent above it

      Try to do it yourself first and then check it here:

    • morwen_eledhwen@mailbug.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
        Suil mellyn...

        On August 12, 2004 at 6:46pm -0000, "calwen76" wrote:
        >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "victoria44082"
        ><victoriaclose@b...> wrote:
        >
        >> victoria = nacilme. i have tried writing it our in a script that i
        >> like, but im not sure, i think i may have the "c" wrong and am
        >> almost certain the "n" isnt right. i was just wondering if someone
        >
        >Well, this is a possible name, though we can't be sure. The language
        >is Quenya, so we shall use a style for Quenya:
        >[...]
        >Lucy

        If you were to translate "Victoria" into Sindarin rather than Quenya, would it
        be something like _Turwen_ (literally 'maiden of victory'), _Turien_, perhaps
        _Turiel_ or _Tureth_ ??? What do you all think?

        Cuio mae,
        Rodwen Celuien na-Hirwaith

        Turwaith: hebron o guren, ar meleth o cuilen.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, morwen_eledhwen@m... wrote:
          > Suil mellyn...
          > If you were to translate "Victoria" into Sindarin rather than
          Quenya, would it
          > be something like _Turwen_ (literally 'maiden of victory'),
          _Turien_, perhaps
          > _Turiel_ or _Tureth_ ??? What do you all think?

          Well, BMHO, *_Túrwen_ or *_Túriel_ with a long stem vowel.

          Lucy
        • victoria44082
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
            that's one of the answers i got, thank you so much. i really just
            wanted it to be right. i also tried writing just victoria out in
            elvish, but i thought if i was going to do it i may aswell do it
            properly and get a translation. when i looked up my name it had
            several versions for victoria, including Mapare and Ture. i just
            picked the one i liked the sound of most. i just have to go back to
            my goldsmith now. he nearly died when i showed him an example of
            what i wanted doing- seems to think it might be complicated. i think
            its good to have a challenge every now and then.
            thank you again

            victoria

            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>