names

  • victoria44082
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
      my friends and i all turn 21 this year, we are all planning on
      getting silver bracelets with our names inscribed. we are all huge
      lord of the rings fans, and decided to have our names written in
      elvish instead of english. we have been researching our names and
      different writing styles. there are that many different styles and
      scripts available to be honest i dont know which ones are real and
      which ones arent. i have already found the translation of my name.
      victoria = nacilme. i have tried writing it our in a script that i
      like, but im not sure, i think i may have the "c" wrong and am
      almost certain the "n" isnt right. i was just wondering if someone
      could please tell me where i have gone wrong. one of my friends has
      already had her's done, and im fairly cerytain its wrong. its just
      that if i spend all this money to get it inscribed properly i would
      like it to be right. i plan on it being a keepsake to remind me of
      my friends. thanks
      victoria
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "victoria44082"
        <victoriaclose@b...> wrote:

        > victoria = nacilme. i have tried writing it our in a script that i
        > like, but im not sure, i think i may have the "c" wrong and am
        > almost certain the "n" isnt right. i was just wondering if someone

        Well, this is a possible name, though we can't be sure. The language
        is Quenya, so we shall use a style for Quenya:

        numen + triple dot above it - calma + dot above it - lambe - malta +
        accute accent above it

        Try to do it yourself first and then check it here:

      • morwen_eledhwen@mailbug.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2004
          Suil mellyn...

          On August 12, 2004 at 6:46pm -0000, "calwen76" wrote:
          >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "victoria44082"
          ><victoriaclose@b...> wrote:
          >
          >> victoria = nacilme. i have tried writing it our in a script that i
          >> like, but im not sure, i think i may have the "c" wrong and am
          >> almost certain the "n" isnt right. i was just wondering if someone
          >
          >Well, this is a possible name, though we can't be sure. The language
          >is Quenya, so we shall use a style for Quenya:
          >[...]
          >Lucy

          If you were to translate "Victoria" into Sindarin rather than Quenya, would it
          be something like _Turwen_ (literally 'maiden of victory'), _Turien_, perhaps
          _Turiel_ or _Tureth_ ??? What do you all think?

          Cuio mae,
          Rodwen Celuien na-Hirwaith

          Turwaith: hebron o guren, ar meleth o cuilen.
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, morwen_eledhwen@m... wrote:
            > Suil mellyn...
            > If you were to translate "Victoria" into Sindarin rather than
            Quenya, would it
            > be something like _Turwen_ (literally 'maiden of victory'),
            _Turien_, perhaps
            > _Turiel_ or _Tureth_ ??? What do you all think?

            Well, BMHO, *_Túrwen_ or *_Túriel_ with a long stem vowel.

            Lucy
          • victoria44082
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
              that's one of the answers i got, thank you so much. i really just
              wanted it to be right. i also tried writing just victoria out in
              elvish, but i thought if i was going to do it i may aswell do it
              properly and get a translation. when i looked up my name it had
              several versions for victoria, including Mapare and Ture. i just
              picked the one i liked the sound of most. i just have to go back to
              my goldsmith now. he nearly died when i showed him an example of
              what i wanted doing- seems to think it might be complicated. i think
              its good to have a challenge every now and then.
              thank you again

              victoria

              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>