Re: [elfscript] help with writing with the font

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002

      teithant keeper_of_the_arctic_flame

      > I'd like to write my name "Kirsi" with "Tengwar Quenya" font...

      * write "aG6iG" with this font and you will have the desired result

    • Harri Perälä
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        keeper_of_the_arctic_flame wrote:

        > I'd like to write my name "Kirsi" with "Tengwar Quenya" font...

        If that is the Finnish name Kirsi, the pronunciation is [kirsi], with a
        trilled r. Writing that should be fairly simple, regardless of what mode
        one wishes to use. There is, of course, no official tengwar spelling for
        Finnish. The closest equivalent can be probably found in the Finnish
        translation of The Lord of the Rings (the one-volume edition), where the
        title page inscription is translated into Finnish. In the inscription,
        the translator uses quesse for k and rómen for r (in all positions). The
        mode mostly follows the original one, but tehtar are placed above the
        previous tengwa, which suits Finnish better.

        So, a reasonable spelling would be

        quesse+dot rómen silme(nuquerna)+dot

        If you would prefer to use the spelling of Quenya, you can replace
        quesse with calma. The s could perhaps be written with a hook attached
        to the rómen, if it looks nicer. I can't provide any of these in the
        Tengwar Quenya keymapping right now, but if you need them, I'm sure
        somebody else will help.

        Oh, and a disclaimer: I am not an expert, so I hope you get a second
        opinion. I am still rather uncomfortable with giving advice for tengwar
        tattoos (which seem to be quite popular at the moment, for some reason)
        :)

        Hope this helped,

        --
        Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
      • Harri Perälä
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
          Gildor Inglorion wrote:

          > teithant keeper_of_the_arctic_flame
          > > I'd like to write my name "Kirsi" with "Tengwar Quenya" font...
          >
          > * write "aG6iG" with this font and you will have the desired result
          [That is, calma+i óre silme(nuquerna)+i]

          My own reply was perhaps unnecessarily long and confusing, so let me
          explain how our answers relate. The above is how the name is written in
          the mode of writing normally used for Quenya. (In my reply, I forgot to
          mention that óre, not rómen, should be used for preconsonantal r in this
          mode.) Now that I reread the original message, "Quenyan" is indeed
          mentioned, so I quess this is what was wanted.

          Just in case, I'll also clarify something that is often confused: the
          Tengwar Quenya font can be used for writing in any mode and language;
          the name is just a name. For example, the "Finnish LotR" spelling I
          suggested would be zG7iG with this font.

          --
          Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
        • keeper_of_the_arctic_flame
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002