Re: [elfscript] Re: PLEASE HELP!! Transcription and translation

  • Jef Shebroe
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8 1:37 PM
      Thankyou very much for oyu info.

      j_mach_wust <machhezan@...> wrote:--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "jshebroe75" <jshebroe75@y...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I Am having some difficulties in translating and transcribing some
      > quenyan and sindarin words and sayings. H have done a lot of
      > reseacrh all over the internet, and page seems to be giving me
      > different info, and its throwing me into loops. Ive downloaded the
      > tengwar transcriber and its confusing me too. What i want is
      > simple. I want to know the word for "Chivalry" and i cant find it
      > anywhere. "Valor" is the closest english runner up for this concept
      > and if I've translated it correctly in sindarin it is "Ber." Also
      > i want the term "A dying breed" in quenyan. The closest I've come
      > to that is "dying race." "Fir" meaning "die" as a verb itself
      > and "Fired" as a gerund verb for "dying." Once again not sure if
      > the grammar is correct. and last the word "breed" i have found a
      > second runner up of "race"...as meant to be a group of people not a
      > speed race. And that translation ive founf to be "No" but the "o"
      > in the translation has a ^ above it and i cant figure how to get
      > that into the transcriber. Speeking of the transcriber..i have
      > transcribe what ive come up with and not sure if its correct as
      > well, because a lot of web pges have tol me the windows XP has a
      > problem with some spacing and stuff in the transcriber.
      >
      > So in conclusion I was wondering if there is anyone i can talk to,
      > to help me correct, ezamine, and/or tell me if im way off base with
      > all of it. Any help is appreatiated.
      >
      > Thank you

      Hi Jefry Shebroe

      I'm sorry I can't tell you whether your translations are reasonable or
      not. You might rather ask on elfling where such questions are more
      on-topic (in this place people shouldn't discuss but the writing
      systems by J. R. R. Tolkien).

      When you've made your transcriptions you can add them to the files
      section of elfling (or put them in some other place online) so we all
      can see them and look if they're correct.

      If you need more help for the transcriptions, you may have a look at
      Lucy's list (for you purpose of transcribing Quenya and Sindarin, I
      think the guides by Per Lindberg and M�ns Bj�rkman are most helpful):

      http://sweb.cz/calwen.rudh/Fonts&guides.htm

      I don't trust the tengwar transcribers too much, but as far as I know,
      they work mostly well for Quenya and Sindarin.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8 11:55 PM
        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "jshebroe75" <jshebroe75@y...>
        wrote:
        > > tengwar transcriber and its confusing me too. What i want is
        > > simple. I want to know the word for "Chivalry" and i cant find
        it anywhere. "Valor" is the closest english runner up for this
        concept and if I've translated it correctly in sindarin it
        is "Ber."

        I don't recognize such word. What I thought up is *_meatheth_ ['stem'
        _maeth-_ (root MAK- in V:371; VT45:30-31 and a possible ending for
        such purpose].

        > > Also i want the term "A dying breed" in quenyan. The closest
        I've come to that is "dying race." "Fir" meaning "die" as a verb
        itself and "Fired" as a gerund verb for "dying."

        I can't say for *Quenya* (please, I ask you not to use _quenyan_, the
        language is called _Quenya_ and the adjective form is identical) but
        in Noldorin/Sindarin it could be *_noss 'wannen_:
        _noss_ 'clan, house, family' [E:378; NO-];
        *_gwannen_ 'dying' [WAN-: gwanno 'die, depart' in E:397] ->
        _-en_ an assumed adjectival ending

        ('dying' is an adjective here, not a gerund form). Nouns are in most
        cases put before the adjectives and in that position they appear to
        mutate, the _g_ is lost and turns to a mute sound expressed by an
        apostroph in Latin, by Gasdil in Tengwar - Beleriand mode.
        -----
        {wo-wo-wow, I couldn't wait to read Arden's contribution on Tengwar
        and FINALLY find out that _halla_ was the cache-cache tengwa :)
        Thanks, Carl, Pat and Arden, great reading, and Karyn for the mail-
        out help}
        -----
        If you really want to enjoy the transcription, bestow some energy and
        time to learn a bit of Tengwar from Mans Bojorkman's and Per Lindberg
        guides (Mach has already mentioned where you can find the links). I
        neither recommend the transcribers, they often fail to be trustworthy
        and precise. If you'd need any help, appeal for it here, we'll be
        happy to advise you.