Re: [elfscript] Re: OT: Raspberries [was: The "following Y" tehta: above or below?]

  • Carl F.Hostetter
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2004
      On Aug 7, 2004, at 12:13 AM, Eris wrote:

      > So, Mr. Hostetter flung out an insult without any clear immediate
      > provocation.
      > I'll not deny that there is a history of provocation, but in this case
      > he
      > does not appear to be responding to anything.

      Please. Did you not wonder at all why Helge shouted "AUTUMN" at us?
      Just because _you_ do not recognize an insult does not mean it does not
      exist; and in this case it was prominently deliberate. If Helge insists
      on going out of his way to be an ass in public, I am more than happy to
      acknowledge the fact, as it seems his eager purpose, and I aims to
      please.
    • Eris
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2004
        On Saturday 07 August 2004 09:06 am, Carl F.Hostetter wrote:

        > Please. Did you not wonder at all why Helge shouted "AUTUMN" at us?

        I did wonder, and, being at work, I searched the online archives of Elfscript,
        but I did not search back far enough apparently. Not finding anything I let
        it drop. As you should have done.

        Tonight, searching my own personal archive of the messages, I was able to find
        Mr. Fauskangers posts from January that started this. (For those interested,
        look for the subject "Pre-classical Tengwar Mode",) You know what? He was
        right. He was wrong to taunt you for it, but he was right about the timing
        of the issue. (And perhaps he was merely poking fun at you in jest, but I
        rather expect not.)

        For the record, I myself have no complaints about the publication schedule. I
        once published a monthly newsletter for a non-profit organization and am
        familiar with the problems and annoyances that can come up while trying to
        write, edit, print, and mail out a small publication on an effectively
        volunteer basis. (It seems to me that the subscription payments cannot begin
        to pay for all the time that goes into preparing each issue of VT.) I can
        only imagine how much more work must go into preparing something that must
        meet scholarly standards. The proofreading alone must be quite tedious,
        seeing as how the subject matter makes a mispelled word a critical occurence.
        Whatever I may say regarding your dealings with Mr. Fauskkanger, you have my
        utmost respect for the work you do with VT.

        > If Helge insists on going out of his way to be an ass in public,
        > I am more than happy to acknowledge the fact, as it seems his eager
        > purpose, and I aims to please.

        Try letting him be such in public without yourself being one in return.
        Ugh, I'm about to sound like my Mother. If someone taunts you or insults you,
        then just ignore him. He wanted to get you to respond or else he'd have said
        nothing. By responding, you did exactly what he wanted you to do.

        At some point, the cycle of insults must stop, and it can happen in two ways.
        Either one of you will move on to other things and will stop posting on a
        regular basis, or one of you will decide to stop responding in kind when an
        insult is given. Based on the history of this feud, I expect the former, but
        I still hope for the later.

        Eris Caffee
      • Eris
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2004
          On Saturday 07 August 2004 04:10 am, calwen76 wrote:
          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Eris <eris-elfscript@e...> wrote:
          > > On Friday 06 August 2004 05:47 am, calwen76 wrote:

          On Saturday 07 August 2004 04:10 am, calwen76 wrote:
          > I'm a Slav and we have other traditions, you know?

          Perhaps, then, Mr. Fauskanger has other traditions as well, you know?

          > If you're trying to argue, I'm not going to get involved since it reminds
          > me the neverending religious bargaining.

          I won't argue it either. From a practical standpoint, the dates and even the
          number of the seasons varies from place to place. When is autumn in the
          Sahara desert? :-)

          But with regard to the date of the start of Autmun, you said:

          > > On Friday 06 August 2004 05:47 am, calwen76 wrote:
          > > > I see no reason, Helge, why you're messing about with it. Can't
          > > > help it?

          That, to my mind, is "trying to argue". And that why I objected.

          On Saturday 07 August 2004 04:10 am, calwen76 wrote:
          > Oh, really? Search the Elfscript and Elfling-d archives (December or
          > so) for very concrete posts of Mr. Fauskanger.

          I searched my archive and found the thread in question. The first post was
          dated January 12, 2003. (I had previously searched the Yahoo archive, but
          its limited search functions made this awkward and I only searched back a
          couple of months. When Mr. Fauskanger posted his message this past Monday,
          the matter simply seemed to trivial to put much effort into. Only the
          angry at the senselessness of it all.)

          Now, having found the original thread to which Mr. Fauskanger was referring, I
          have to admit that there was a "clear immediate provocation" for Mr.
          Hostetters response. I apologize to you both for my error in that regard.

          Nonetheless, my assessment of the reactions to that provocation remain valid.
          No good has come of this. It only serves to distract all from the prupose of
          the Elfscript list, and further incite animosity between some of the most
          prominent members of the Tolkienian linguistics community.

          On Saturday 07 August 2004 04:10 am, calwen76 wrote:

          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Eris <eris-elfscript@e...> wrote:
          > > Then, Mr. Fauskanger responds with self deprecating humour. A
          > > reasonable and polite response, though no response at all might have
          > > been better.

          > Nothing but your opinion.

          I'll not deny that it is my opinion, but I will dare to claim that that others
          also would support it. Mr. Fauskanger responded with a joke indicating that
          his photo on his website makes him look like an ass. That is
          self-deprecating humour and I doubt you'll find many who will disagree. I
          also doubt you'll find any lack of people who think that that best response
          would have been silence.

          > Lucie Holá, for your peaceful dreams.

          Hail Lucie Holá! Met in adversity, may we never cross (s)words again. :-)

          > This is _exactly_ what I think of Helge's post - if you don't see
          > his post needless and provoking, I do.

          Now knowing the reference, I *do* see it as "needless and provoking". And if
          it was merely an attempt at humour (for it is exactly the style of humour
          that I I would indulge in myself) then it needed some words of explanation to
          make it more obviously a gentle poke in the ribs. There is too much bad
          blood here for subtlety to be effective.

          And yet, again, a small jab like that does not deserve the response it got.
          Best to let it pass uncommented.

          On Saturday 07 August 2004 04:10 am, calwen76 wrote:
          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Eris <eris-elfscript@e...> wrote:
          > > On Friday 06 August 2004 05:47 am, calwen76 wrote:

          > If you'd be really interested, no such arguing would put you off it,
          > my opinion only. I went through such stages as well though I've been
          > into these groups for only a year and half, but the will to study
          > Tolkien's world has always been stronger. It's your fight, sorry,
          > you seem to blame us unrightfully.

          You misunderstood me. I have never stopped studying Tolkien's world, but have
          only sometimes stopped reading Elfscript and Elfling. Between the flame
          threads and the endless "translate my name" and "how do I write that" posts,
          there is often little material of value to be found on the lists. So when I
          get fed up with it, I usually just stop reading the email lists and spend
          more time reading Tolkien himself. I'm no linguist, so my own attempts at
          interpreting his languages fall far short of the excellent work of Misters
          Hostetter and Fauskanger, but sometimes the signal to noise ratio is far
          higher in my own meager analyses.

          > Maybe one day you will be provoked as well and will find out what is
          > this all about. Arguing is not a privilege of children.

          Ah. I make no claim of innocence. I've been on the Internet since 1989 and
          have been in my fair share of flame wars, on Usenet, web message boards, and
          email lists alike. In general I've grown quite weary of such arguments,
          because I've seen how much useful effect they have: none. I do, though,
          have a short temper, so as much as I regret it, I still find myself getting
          drawn into things sometimes. This thread is such an instance. I had gone
          for years without complaining about the CH-HF war (I think I did once give it
          a small mention in one of my rare Elfling posts about 2 years ago) but for
          some reason this latest flare up got me so irate that I posted.

          I do regret it now, because I know that it will do no good. Any rivalry that
          has gone on for so long will not be dinted by any words I can say.

          So that is what this is all about: a lurker who got irritated enough to say
          something for a change instead of silently ignoring the daily rantings of the
          Internet.

          I'm going to take my own advice now and be silent. If anyone has specific
          questions that I think might actually benefit the list, I'll answer on the
          list. Otherwise, I'll answer privately. I've said what I wanted to say, my
          anger has passed, and I think that if I speak further then I will simply be
          "fanning the flames" myself.

          Eris Caffee

          > Good luck and nerv,
          > Lucy (or Lucka, Lucie, Luci, Lucinda, Lucias, Luca etc. - whatever
          > you want...)

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Carl F.Hostetter
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7, 2004
            On Aug 7, 2004, at 10:30 PM, Eris wrote:

            > You know what? He was right.

            Er, NO, he wasn't. And from his desperate attempt to redefine "autumn"
            for the rest of the world in order to _be_ "right" springs his
            assitude.
          • Carl F.Hostetter
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2004
              On Aug 7, 2004, at 11:19 PM, Eris wrote:

              > Nonetheless, my assessment of the reactions to that provocation remain
              > valid.

              So you say. You seem to think that everyone in these forums has had
              exactly the same history and experiences as you and must accept the
              same received wisdom that you espouse. You seem unable to suppose that
              your claimed "correct way" has been tried, and failed. I dare say I've
              been in these forums considerably longer than most anyone else around,
              and in fact, I was silent in the face of the endless taunts of Helge,
              Salo, Star, et al. for a very long time, and you know what? It only
              served to let them feel they could slander us with impunity, and their
              lies became the received truth. Why? Because no one could be bothered
              to question their assertions or to call an ass an ass. So your
              assertedly superior way was long ago tried and proven to be a big fat
              failure. Now I'm doing it _my_ way, and will continue to do so, so long
              as Helge and his ilk keep up _their_ ways.

              YOU could do some good by calling Helge an ass when he is being one,
              instead of making excuses for him, which will IN FACT only encourage
              him. So long as you and your kind continue to ameliorate the
              environment for Helge's taunts and tactics, he will continue to avail
              himself of it. If you and others would do as I do, or as Lucy has had
              the discernment and sense to do, to see Helge for what he is and to
              make the environment hostile to his provocations and rhetoric, then you
              really might make a change for the better.

              ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
              Ars longa, vita brevis.
            • ravenduongladash
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 22, 2004
                Speaking of showing _ass_itude? [perhaps you meant _assuetude_,
                _assiduate_?]
                I was beginning to think the great Carl had reformed and had taken
                his vitriol elsewhere.

                caio
                Graeme

                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F.Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>