help with writing with the font

  • keeper_of_the_arctic_flame
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      Hi!
      I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing to Quenyan...
      I'd like to write my name "Kirsi" with "Tengwar Quenya" font...
      I want your help, because I've been thinking of taking a tattoo for
      over five years now (I never knew what picture I wanted). And now I
      think I know what kind of picture I wanna have, but I wanted to make
      the picture special and I thought why not put my name with this font
      on it... :)
      So please help me!!!

      *Kirsi*
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002

        teithant keeper_of_the_arctic_flame

        > I'd like to write my name "Kirsi" with "Tengwar Quenya" font...

        * write "aG6iG" with this font and you will have the desired result

      • Harri Perälä
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
          keeper_of_the_arctic_flame wrote:

          > I'd like to write my name "Kirsi" with "Tengwar Quenya" font...

          If that is the Finnish name Kirsi, the pronunciation is [kirsi], with a
          trilled r. Writing that should be fairly simple, regardless of what mode
          one wishes to use. There is, of course, no official tengwar spelling for
          Finnish. The closest equivalent can be probably found in the Finnish
          translation of The Lord of the Rings (the one-volume edition), where the
          title page inscription is translated into Finnish. In the inscription,
          the translator uses quesse for k and rómen for r (in all positions). The
          mode mostly follows the original one, but tehtar are placed above the
          previous tengwa, which suits Finnish better.

          So, a reasonable spelling would be

          quesse+dot rómen silme(nuquerna)+dot

          If you would prefer to use the spelling of Quenya, you can replace
          quesse with calma. The s could perhaps be written with a hook attached
          to the rómen, if it looks nicer. I can't provide any of these in the
          Tengwar Quenya keymapping right now, but if you need them, I'm sure
          somebody else will help.

          Oh, and a disclaimer: I am not an expert, so I hope you get a second
          opinion. I am still rather uncomfortable with giving advice for tengwar
          tattoos (which seem to be quite popular at the moment, for some reason)
          :)

          Hope this helped,

          --
          Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
        • Harri Perälä
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
            Gildor Inglorion wrote:

            > teithant keeper_of_the_arctic_flame
            > > I'd like to write my name "Kirsi" with "Tengwar Quenya" font...
            >
            > * write "aG6iG" with this font and you will have the desired result
            [That is, calma+i óre silme(nuquerna)+i]

            My own reply was perhaps unnecessarily long and confusing, so let me
            explain how our answers relate. The above is how the name is written in
            the mode of writing normally used for Quenya. (In my reply, I forgot to
            mention that óre, not rómen, should be used for preconsonantal r in this
            mode.) Now that I reread the original message, "Quenyan" is indeed
            mentioned, so I quess this is what was wanted.

            Just in case, I'll also clarify something that is often confused: the
            Tengwar Quenya font can be used for writing in any mode and language;
            the name is just a name. For example, the "Finnish LotR" spelling I
            suggested would be zG7iG with this font.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
              Thaks for helping me!
              I'll try those :)

              *Kirsi*