Re: [elfscript] Transcription of Kristine

  • Harri Perälä
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
      berscub wrote:
      > Hi all. I was asked to transcribe a frined's name, Kristine. I have
      > made 2 attempts that can be viewed in the PHOTOS section.
      > On the bottom attempt shown, I looked at the Christmas greeting
      > Tolkien had written

      If we take the tehta style in "The Brogan Tengwa-greetings" (DTS 10) as
      the norm, then the bottom version looks right to me. The upper one would
      be read "Krestine". In this sample, the pronunciation of vowels usually
      has no significance: <e> is transcribed as a dot and <i> as an acute
      accent, no matter how they are pronounced. An exception that is seen in
      the sample is the final silent <e>, which is transcribed as a dot below
      the previous tengwa ("some", "hope"). DTS 10 doesn't seem to use silme
      nuquerna even with tehtar, but I would understand this as a matter of
      preference.

      If you wanted to follow the LotR title page instead, the accents would
      be replaced by dots. The under-dot would still be used for the final -e.

      References, if somebody wants them:

      The Mellonath Daeron Index of Tengwar Specimina,
      http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/mdtci.html

      Contents of DTS 10 checked from the Index of Significant Samples,
      http://www.geocities.com/tengwar2001/pubs.htm

      Harri Perälä
    • berscub
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
        > If we take the tehta style in "The Brogan Tengwa-greetings" (DTS 10) as
        > the norm, then the bottom version looks right to me. The upper one would =

        > be read "Krestine". In this sample, the pronunciation of vowels usually
        > has no significance: <e> is transcribed as a dot and <i> as an acute
        > accent, no matter how they are pronounced. An exception that is seen in
        > the sample is the final silent <e>, which is transcribed as a dot below
        > the previous tengwa ("some", "hope"). DTS 10 doesn't seem to use silme
        > nuquerna even with tehtar, but I would understand this as a matter of
        > preference.
        > If you wanted to follow the LotR title page instead, the accents would
        > be replaced by dots. The under-dot would still be used for the final -e.
        > References, if somebody wants them:
        >
        > The Mellonath Daeron Index of Tengwar Specimina,
        > http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/mdtci.html
        >
        > Contents of DTS 10 checked from the Index of Significant Samples,
        > http://www.geocities.com/tengwar2001/pubs.htm
        >
        > Harri Perälä

        Thank you so much for your time. And thanks too for the references.

        ~Thomas