Transcription of Kristine

  • berscub
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2004
      Hi all. I was asked to transcribe a frined's name, Kristine. I have
      made 2 attempts that can
      be viewed in the PHOTOS section. The .jpeg is called Kristine. On
      the bottom attempt
      shown, I looked at the Christmas greeting Tolkien had written since
      the first part of
      Christmas, _christ_, is the same as Kristine, but I just changed the
      first letter since she
      doesn't spell her name the conventional way with a _ch_. But then I
      wasn't sure about the
      grave accent, so I tried just the dot (and changed it to a silma
      nuquerna because it looked
      better with the dot). For the ending, I found another word Tolkien
      had
      written ending in _ine_ and just copied that. But now after looking
      at it, the word he was
      transcribing had a long -i- vowel sound instead of the long -e- at
      the end of Kristine...so
      now I'm not sure...

      If someone could please give some feedback, that would be most
      appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Thomas
    • Harri Perälä
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
        berscub wrote:
        > Hi all. I was asked to transcribe a frined's name, Kristine. I have
        > made 2 attempts that can be viewed in the PHOTOS section.
        > On the bottom attempt shown, I looked at the Christmas greeting
        > Tolkien had written

        If we take the tehta style in "The Brogan Tengwa-greetings" (DTS 10) as
        the norm, then the bottom version looks right to me. The upper one would
        be read "Krestine". In this sample, the pronunciation of vowels usually
        has no significance: <e> is transcribed as a dot and <i> as an acute
        accent, no matter how they are pronounced. An exception that is seen in
        the sample is the final silent <e>, which is transcribed as a dot below
        the previous tengwa ("some", "hope"). DTS 10 doesn't seem to use silme
        nuquerna even with tehtar, but I would understand this as a matter of
        preference.

        If you wanted to follow the LotR title page instead, the accents would
        be replaced by dots. The under-dot would still be used for the final -e.

        References, if somebody wants them:

        The Mellonath Daeron Index of Tengwar Specimina,
        http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/mdtci.html

        Contents of DTS 10 checked from the Index of Significant Samples,
        http://www.geocities.com/tengwar2001/pubs.htm

        Harri Perälä
      • berscub
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
          > If we take the tehta style in "The Brogan Tengwa-greetings" (DTS 10) as
          > the norm, then the bottom version looks right to me. The upper one would =

          > be read "Krestine". In this sample, the pronunciation of vowels usually
          > has no significance: <e> is transcribed as a dot and <i> as an acute
          > accent, no matter how they are pronounced. An exception that is seen in
          > the sample is the final silent <e>, which is transcribed as a dot below
          > the previous tengwa ("some", "hope"). DTS 10 doesn't seem to use silme
          > nuquerna even with tehtar, but I would understand this as a matter of
          > preference.
          > If you wanted to follow the LotR title page instead, the accents would
          > be replaced by dots. The under-dot would still be used for the final -e.
          > References, if somebody wants them:
          >
          > The Mellonath Daeron Index of Tengwar Specimina,
          > http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/mdtci.html
          >
          > Contents of DTS 10 checked from the Index of Significant Samples,
          > http://www.geocities.com/tengwar2001/pubs.htm
          >
          > Harri Perälä

          Thank you so much for your time. And thanks too for the references.

          ~Thomas