RE: [elfscript] Re: Fencing T-Shirts: "Don' Touch Me!"

  • Janice Steinheider
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26, 2004

      <erilaz@e...>
      >wrote:
      > >
      > > Helge Fauskanger wrote:
      > >
      > > >"Fencing"? Some derivative of the root PEL, perhaps?
      > >
      > > I don't think Janice (jjs6199) meant that kind of fencing. As I
      > > recall, she was asking about the sport, not enclosures made of
      wood
      > > or wire.
      >
      >Not to mention that she herself has asked for the transcription
      >into "Elvish letters" ...
      >
      >Well, this could be the thing she's been looking for:

      >though I'm not sure whether the soft _c_ should be written with silme
      >nuquerna albeit it carries no omatehta.
      >
      >Lucy

      I appreciate everyone's help. Yes, I think the advice that I got was to
      transcribe the phrases to be the most accurate, however you are the experts.
      So I took a look at the gif. Which font is that in? Does everyone agree that
      it is accurate? I might try to recreate it and send it back to you.

      Thank you so much! We really appreciate it!
      janice

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 26, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Janice Steinheider" <jjs6199@h...>
        wrote:
        > I appreciate everyone's help. Yes, I think the advice that I got
        was to
        > transcribe the phrases to be the most accurate, however you are the
        experts.
        > So I took a look at the gif. Which font is that in? Does everyone
        agree that
        > it is accurate? I might try to recreate it and send it back to you.

        It's Tengwar Annatar font made by Johan Winge. For more info and
        download see:

        http://home.student.uu.se/j/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html

        Definitely wait for the approval, I'm still learning.
        Lucy
      • Janice Steinheider
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
          Hello everyone. So I downloaded the font and I've attempted to recreate the
          phrase that was transcribed for me in Tengwar. I'm not sure if it's all
          correct. And I still haven't heard from anyone confirming that the phrase is
          correct, so any feedback about either would be awesome. I posted what I've
          done on the web.

          www.cahootsdesign.com/tengwartshirt

          Check it out, let me know what you think!

          thanks again,
          janice

          Planning a family vacation? Check out the MSN Family Travel guide!
          http://dollar.msn.com
        • i_degilbor
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
            Teithant Janice Steinheider:
            > www.cahootsdesign.com/tengwartshirt

            Yes, the transcription is correct. Personally, I would prefer to have
            it done by a calligrapher instead of using a font; that would provide
            a more unique design. However, if you do prefer using a font, I
            believe that you have made the best choice with Tengwar Annatar.

            Cuio mae, Danny.
          • Janice Steinheider
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
              >From: "i_degilbor" <Uialdil_i_degilbor@...>
              >To: elfscript@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [elfscript] Re: Fencing T-Shirts: "Don' Touch Me!"
              >Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:09:36 -0000
              >
              >Teithant Janice Steinheider:
              > > www.cahootsdesign.com/tengwartshirt
              >
              >Yes, the transcription is correct. Personally, I would prefer to have
              >it done by a calligrapher instead of using a font; that would provide
              >a more unique design. However, if you do prefer using a font, I
              >believe that you have made the best choice with Tengwar Annatar.
              >
              >Cuio mae, Danny.

              Hmm,
              That's an interesting thought. Where would i find a calligrapher to do this
              for me? That could be very cool.

              janice

            • i_degilbor
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 28, 2004
                Teithant Janice Steinheider:
                > That's an interesting thought. Where would i find a calligrapher to do this
                > for me? That could be very cool.

                There are several calligraphers on this list; I am one. I would be happy to help, if you'd like, but I would have to send you the artwork via snail mail because I don't have a scanner yet.

                Cuio mae, Danny.
              • Janice Steinheider
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29, 2004
                  >From: "i_degilbor" <Uialdil_i_degilbor@...>
                  >To: elfscript@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [elfscript] Re: Fencing T-Shirts: "Don' Touch Me!"
                  >Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:58:26 -0000
                  >
                  >Teithant Janice Steinheider:
                  > > That's an interesting thought. Where would i find a calligrapher
                  to do this
                  > > for me? That could be very cool.
                  >
                  >There are several calligraphers on this list; I am one. I would be happy
                  to help, if you'd like, but I would have to send you the artwork via snail
                  mail because I don't have a scanner yet.

                  >Cuio mae, Danny.

                  Danny,
                  OK, I think that's an interesting idea. We however have no idea what it
                  would look like. Would you be able to send us a sample of a word done in
                  Calligraphy? Also, what would your fee be?

                  You can send the sample to:

                  Attn: Janice Steinheider
                  Cahoots Design
                  30 The Fenway
                  Boston, MA 02215

                  Thanks!
                  janice

                • i_degilbor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 30, 2004
                    Teithant Janice:
                    > OK, I think that's an interesting idea. We however have no idea what it
                    > would look like. Would you be able to send us a sample of a word done in
                    > Calligraphy? Also, what would your fee be?

                    I will work up a few ideas this weekend and send them out early during the week. Don't worry about a fee; this is just some fun stuff ... not "real work"! I'm not going to charge for something so uncomplicated. I do Elvish calligraphy because I enjoy it. If you want to see some samples of my tengwar calligraphy, I have some posted at two Polish sites:

                    http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/andries.htm

                    http://www.tengwar.art.pl/galeria.php

                    Cuio mae, Danny.
                  • Janice Steinheider
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
                      >I will work up a few ideas this weekend and send them out early during
                      the week. Don't worry about a fee; this is just some fun stuff ... not
                      "real work"! I'm not going to charge for something so
                      uncomplicated. I do Elvish calligraphy because I enjoy it. If you want to
                      see some samples of my tengwar calligraphy, I have some posted at two Polish
                      sites:

                      wow, that's gorgeous! We would love to use some of your calligraphy. Thanks
                      so much. So if you just want to send some pieces to the address that I
                      listed before, that would be super! We'd be happy to send you a t-shirt in
                      return.

                      We have another question for everyone. We found this great silhouette of
                      Frodo which we were thinking about including on the shirt as well. We
                      realize that Frodo doesn't speak in Elfish, but he worked well with The Lord
                      of the Rings theme as well as the fencing theme. (We changed his sword to a
                      fencing blade.) Do you think this would work? Or should we just leave him
                      off. We thought about including Legolas, but his weapon just didn't work as
                      well.

                      Thanks,
                      janice

                    • Janice Steinheider
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
                        Hello again.
                        I just wanted to ask again if anyone would be interested in doing
                        calligraphy for our elfin fencing t-shirt. I thought I had a volunteer but I
                        haven't heard from him since! If you want to look at the text, it is at

                        www.cahootsdesign.com/tengwartshirt

                        Danny, if you still want to help us out that would be great! We already have
                        an order for the shirt so if someone wants to do this we need it ASAP!

                        If you need to send us the artwork you can send it to the following adress.
                        WE would love to send you a free t-shirt in return!

                        Cahoots Design Attn: Janice
                        30 The Fenway
                        Boston MA 02215