Re: question on difference between

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "thegraveyard666" <jeff@g...> wrote:
      > Transcribing and Translating...
      >
      > I was doing some research on translating an English word to Tengwar
      > but not sure I understand the different between translating and
      > transcribing.

      If you have an English word, there is a chance that you can TRANSLATE
      it into one of the Elvish languages of Professor Tolkien (Quenya,
      Sindarin, Telerin, etc.) e.g. EN _father_ is _atar_ in Quenya and
      _adar_ in Sindarin.

      If you want to have any word (matter no what language it is), you can
      transcribe it in the Elvish script, Professor's piece of art as well,
      e.g. in Tengwar or in Cirth (Runes). So you can have all _father_,
      _atar_ and _adar_ 'converted' into the script. They well differ -
      there are various modes for writing/transcribing.

      So, it depends whether you are interested in getting an English,
      Quenya or Sindarin word/sentence/whatever transcribed in the script
      or just to translate an English/French/Spanish/whatever living or
      dead language word to one of the Elvish languages.

      on "http://gildor.freepage.gr/tolkien/realteng/guide.html"
      > you can't just put in "john" and output the correct version. (unless
      > I'm totally misunderstanding it)

      It's always better not to use the 'script translators' but to try to
      figure it out yourself, starting with the Appendix E of the Lord of
      the Rings, with a little help of:

      http://sweb.cz/calwen.rudh/Fonts&guides.htm

      It's both fun and beauty to cognize the Elvish script.

      > So I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on learning more how to
      > translate words or phrases from english to Quenya so I can then
      > transcribe them to Tengwar.

      Go here: http://www.elvish.org/resources.html

      and learn more there.

      > I also found this is site:
      > http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/wordlists.htm with an English->Quenya
      > wordlist although I'm not sure how accurate it is. Hoepfully someone
      > here can point me in the right direction.

      I don't know how accurate it is and actually nobody but JRRT himself
      can tell, but I always suggest newcomers to make their own wordlists,
      made by virtue of own study.