[elfscript]Quenya Numbers??

  • fradeve virgilio
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
      I’ve a problem with the tengwar writing of Quenya numbers…

      I want to write “8 July 2004” in Quenya.

      I’ve downloaded a program that can transcribe a number in tengwar (also I
      don’t understand in

      which way this program can translate a number to tengwar,, with wich
      process… but this isn’t important).

      The main problem is: in which way can I write “july” with tengwar? (I’m
      Italian and in my lang July is “Luglio”)

      I must insert this script in my book of Quenya Course, and for this reason I
      want to scribe it with the Classic Quenya Mode (I don’t want to use a mode
      for Italian).

      But in this mode I can’t transcribe the _g_ of _Luglio_.

      A solution may be to indicate July with the name of Postlithe (the Calendar
      of the Shire), but the “8 july” not correspond to “8 Postlithe”,

      because in the Calendar of the Shire each month has a particular number of
      days (for example, February has 25 days… so, 8 july can’t correspond to 8
      Postlithe).

      Is there another Quenya name for this month, or another way to scribe it in
      Quenya, with tengwar?

      Regards,

      Leron delle Guglie

      _____

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 11, 2004
        fradeve virgilio wrote:
        > I want to write “8 July 2004” in Quenya.

        I think you could use Cermie from Appendix D. I don't see a problem with
        using the Quenya names from Middle-earth calendars to translate month
        names of our calendar. The English names of months and days of the week
        that appear in The Lord of the Rings are supposed to be translations
        (without any date conversions) of original names used in the Red Book.
        This would be almost the same thing, but in the opposite direction. By
        the way, Postlithe appears to be an Italian translation; it's Afterlithe
        in the original.

        > I must insert this script in my book of Quenya Course, and for this
        > reason I want to scribe it with the Classic Quenya Mode (I don’t want
        > to use a mode for Italian).
        > But in this mode I can’t transcribe the _g_ of _Luglio_.

        If I'm not mistaken, there are no examples of how of such "foreign"
        sounds and combinations would be handled in the middle of a document
        written in the classical Quenya mode. If the problematic word or name
        was in a language that had a standard tengwar spelling, it would seem
        reasonable to write it according to that mode.

        I actually might have expected "Elessar Telcontar" in the King's Letters
        to be written in the classical mode that App. E calls "the standard
        spelling of Quenya", but it's in the same mode as the rest of the
        document. From a modern perspective, this is maybe a bit odd: if the
        English name "Strider" is mentioned in a document written in any
        language that uses the Latin alphabet, it is still written "Strider".

        I can think of some possible reasons why the Letters are written the way
        they are:
        - Quenya was written in other modes as well as the "standard spelling",
        so readers were used to seeing different spellings of Quenya words.
        - Having only one spelling for a name was not considered as important in
        the Third/Fourth Age as it is today.
        - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
        "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing. (The Latin
        alphabet equivalent might be "Elessar Telcontar, Ragaron Ratharonino..."
        or "Eelassr Etlocantr, Aragorn Arathornion...")

        Am I on the right track here?

        Harri Perälä
      • machhezan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 11, 2004
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Harri Perälä <harri.perala@l...> wrote:
          > If I'm not mistaken, there are no examples of how of such "foreign"
          > sounds and combinations would be handled in the middle of a document
          > written in the classical Quenya mode. If the problematic word or name
          > was in a language that had a standard tengwar spelling, it would seem
          > reasonable to write it according to that mode.

          > I actually might have expected "Elessar Telcontar" in the King's
          Letters
          > to be written in the classical mode that App. E calls "the standard
          > spelling of Quenya", but it's in the same mode as the rest of the
          > document. From a modern perspective, this is maybe a bit odd: if the
          > English name "Strider" is mentioned in a document written in any
          > language that uses the Latin alphabet, it is still written "Strider".

          That's a very good example! I wasn't conscious but of the
          counterexample, the Quenya mode words (though not 'classical' Quenya
          mode) within the Anglo-Saxon mode of Lowdham's manuscript in DTS 50
          (neither is described on the net, I think).

          > I can think of some possible reasons why the Letters are written the
          way
          > they are:
          > - Quenya was written in other modes as well as the "standard spelling",
          > so readers were used to seeing different spellings of Quenya words.
          > - Having only one spelling for a name was not considered as
          important in
          > the Third/Fourth Age as it is today.
          > - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
          > "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing.

          Three very good reasons. We might even speculate that in Gondor,
          Quenya was normally spelt according to the general use, as seen in the
          Return of the King jacket (DTS 38) and in the example you've given
          which are the only examples that can be identified as Gondorian with a
          certain security. I don't think that there's any evidence in app. E
          that would prove this speculation to be wrong.

        • fradeve virgilio
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
            I saw the Appendix D only after posted my message.
            So, _cermie_ is the perfect solution at all my problems with months.

            Really I don't know that Postlithe is an Italian translation of Afterlithe
            (usually the latin radix "Post" is perfectly integrated with the English
            language, so I thought that this name of month was in the original lang...)

            In this way, if I use _cermie_ the _g_ of "Luglio" is not a problem.
            I can write perfectly _cermie_ with the classic tengwar mode for Quenya.

            I think also your thoughts are perfectly correct...
            But I'm too inexpert to give an absolutely correct opinion!

            Regards,

            Fradeve Virgilio
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
              Harri Perälä wrote (one of several explanations):

              > - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
              "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing. (The Latin
              alphabet equivalent might be "Elessar Telcontar, Ragaron Ratharonino..." or
              "Eelassr Etlocantr, Aragorn Arathornion...")

              > Am I on the right track here?

              Yes, I tend to think this is the correct explanation.

              It should be remembered that Quenya was not a language in daily use, though
              it served as a source for particularly noble names. Every literate person
              in Gondor must have known the Tengwar, but it is in no way certain that
              non-scholars would be familiar with the (rather peculiar) Quenya spelling
              mode. So Quenya names occurring in a Sindarin or Westron context would
              naturally be written in much the same mode as the rest of the text, making
              things much easier for both the writer and the reader. Possibly some
              "loremasters" wouldn't be quite happy about it, but a universally accepted
              standard orthography is not to be expected in a pseudo-medieval setting
              like Middle-earth.

              - HKF
            • machhezan
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
                <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
                > It should be remembered that Quenya was not a language in daily
                > use, though it served as a source for particularly noble names.
                > Every literate person in Gondor must have known the Tengwar, but it
                > is in no way certain that non-scholars would be familiar with the
                > (rather peculiar) Quenya spelling mode. So Quenya names occurring
                > in a Sindarin or Westron context would naturally be written in much
                > the same mode as the rest of the text, making things much easier
                > for both the writer and the reader.

                DTS 38 provides us with an instance of a 'general use' Quenya text
                that is not within a Sindarin or Westron context. We might speculate
                that the text could be supposed to be written by a very literate
                Sindarin speaker. I think that this specimen suggest, as I've said,

                g_0ry@_^s: