Re: [elfscript] new member...

  • Stephanie Slater
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6, 2004
      hi you emailed me. i'm also in the elvish group you're
      in. how much about the tengwar do you know? i would
      like to know more. my name is stephanie and i'm 17
      also.
      stephanie

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • fradeve virgilio
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
        <laurifindil wrote:
        Neither did I after more than 20 years into tengwar and Elvish. :)

        These terms ("early mode" or "later convention") have been made up
        by "fans" and not by Tolkien. Usually, "fans" tend to forget to
        clearly state what is made up on their site and what is genuine
        stuff... But then hey ! They would become "scholars"... Weird
        thing. :) :) :)

        You should be VERY cearfull with what you read about tengwar on
        Internet. And better to use Appendix E of LOTR, it has 80% of what
        we know about tengwar.

        A "full mode" is a mode of writting in which vowels are written with
        tengwar, not as diacritical signs under or over the tengwa. One of
        such mode is "the Mode of Beleriand" as seen on the Doors of Moria.

        Cheers>

        So, tanks a lot for your suggests...
      • fradeve virgilio
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
          I’ve a problem with the tengwar writing of Quenya numbers…

          I want to write “8 July 2004” in Quenya.

          I’ve downloaded a program that can transcribe a number in tengwar (also I
          don’t understand in

          which way this program can translate a number to tengwar,, with wich
          process… but this isn’t important).

          The main problem is: in which way can I write “july” with tengwar? (I’m
          Italian and in my lang July is “Luglio”)

          I must insert this script in my book of Quenya Course, and for this reason I
          want to scribe it with the Classic Quenya Mode (I don’t want to use a mode
          for Italian).

          But in this mode I can’t transcribe the _g_ of _Luglio_.

          A solution may be to indicate July with the name of Postlithe (the Calendar
          of the Shire), but the “8 july” not correspond to “8 Postlithe”,

          because in the Calendar of the Shire each month has a particular number of
          days (for example, February has 25 days… so, 8 july can’t correspond to 8
          Postlithe).

          Is there another Quenya name for this month, or another way to scribe it in
          Quenya, with tengwar?

          Regards,

          Leron delle Guglie

          _____

          Neither did I after more than 20 years into tengwar and Elvish. :)

          These terms ("early mode" or "later convention") have been made up
          by "fans" and not by Tolkien. Usually, "fans" tend to forget to
          clearly state what is made up on their site and what is genuine
          stuff... But then hey ! They would become "scholars"... Weird
          thing. :) :) :)

          You should be VERY cearfull with what you read about tengwar on
          Internet. And better to use Appendix E of LOTR, it has 80% of what
          we know about tengwar.

          A "full mode" is a mode of writting in which vowels are written with
          tengwar, not as diacritical signs under or over the tengwa. One of
          such mode is "the Mode of Beleriand" as seen on the Doors of Moria.

          Cheers>

          So, tanks a lot for your suggests...

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129p8urfq/M=288055.5065205.6192284.2004029/D=gr
          oups/S=1705218811:HM/EXP=1089293217/A=2193924/R=0/SIG=12h9oogn4/*http:/store
          .yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?yhst-56407110520241+nsXvzK+icopydvds2.html> click
          here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=288055.5065205.6192284.2004029/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2193924/rand=882007416>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Harri Perälä
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 11, 2004
            fradeve virgilio wrote:
            > I want to write “8 July 2004” in Quenya.

            I think you could use Cermie from Appendix D. I don't see a problem with
            using the Quenya names from Middle-earth calendars to translate month
            names of our calendar. The English names of months and days of the week
            that appear in The Lord of the Rings are supposed to be translations
            (without any date conversions) of original names used in the Red Book.
            This would be almost the same thing, but in the opposite direction. By
            the way, Postlithe appears to be an Italian translation; it's Afterlithe
            in the original.

            > I must insert this script in my book of Quenya Course, and for this
            > reason I want to scribe it with the Classic Quenya Mode (I don’t want
            > to use a mode for Italian).
            > But in this mode I can’t transcribe the _g_ of _Luglio_.

            If I'm not mistaken, there are no examples of how of such "foreign"
            sounds and combinations would be handled in the middle of a document
            written in the classical Quenya mode. If the problematic word or name
            was in a language that had a standard tengwar spelling, it would seem
            reasonable to write it according to that mode.

            I actually might have expected "Elessar Telcontar" in the King's Letters
            to be written in the classical mode that App. E calls "the standard
            spelling of Quenya", but it's in the same mode as the rest of the
            document. From a modern perspective, this is maybe a bit odd: if the
            English name "Strider" is mentioned in a document written in any
            language that uses the Latin alphabet, it is still written "Strider".

            I can think of some possible reasons why the Letters are written the way
            they are:
            - Quenya was written in other modes as well as the "standard spelling",
            so readers were used to seeing different spellings of Quenya words.
            - Having only one spelling for a name was not considered as important in
            the Third/Fourth Age as it is today.
            - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
            "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing. (The Latin
            alphabet equivalent might be "Elessar Telcontar, Ragaron Ratharonino..."
            or "Eelassr Etlocantr, Aragorn Arathornion...")

            Am I on the right track here?

            Harri Perälä
          • machhezan
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 11, 2004
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Harri Perälä <harri.perala@l...> wrote:
              > If I'm not mistaken, there are no examples of how of such "foreign"
              > sounds and combinations would be handled in the middle of a document
              > written in the classical Quenya mode. If the problematic word or name
              > was in a language that had a standard tengwar spelling, it would seem
              > reasonable to write it according to that mode.

              > I actually might have expected "Elessar Telcontar" in the King's
              Letters
              > to be written in the classical mode that App. E calls "the standard
              > spelling of Quenya", but it's in the same mode as the rest of the
              > document. From a modern perspective, this is maybe a bit odd: if the
              > English name "Strider" is mentioned in a document written in any
              > language that uses the Latin alphabet, it is still written "Strider".

              That's a very good example! I wasn't conscious but of the
              counterexample, the Quenya mode words (though not 'classical' Quenya
              mode) within the Anglo-Saxon mode of Lowdham's manuscript in DTS 50
              (neither is described on the net, I think).

              > I can think of some possible reasons why the Letters are written the
              way
              > they are:
              > - Quenya was written in other modes as well as the "standard spelling",
              > so readers were used to seeing different spellings of Quenya words.
              > - Having only one spelling for a name was not considered as
              important in
              > the Third/Fourth Age as it is today.
              > - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
              > "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing.

              Three very good reasons. We might even speculate that in Gondor,
              Quenya was normally spelt according to the general use, as seen in the
              Return of the King jacket (DTS 38) and in the example you've given
              which are the only examples that can be identified as Gondorian with a
              certain security. I don't think that there's any evidence in app. E
              that would prove this speculation to be wrong.

            • fradeve virgilio
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
                I saw the Appendix D only after posted my message.
                So, _cermie_ is the perfect solution at all my problems with months.

                Really I don't know that Postlithe is an Italian translation of Afterlithe
                (usually the latin radix "Post" is perfectly integrated with the English
                language, so I thought that this name of month was in the original lang...)

                In this way, if I use _cermie_ the _g_ of "Luglio" is not a problem.
                I can write perfectly _cermie_ with the classic tengwar mode for Quenya.

                I think also your thoughts are perfectly correct...
                But I'm too inexpert to give an absolutely correct opinion!

                Regards,

                Fradeve Virgilio
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
                  Harri Perälä wrote (one of several explanations):

                  > - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
                  "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing. (The Latin
                  alphabet equivalent might be "Elessar Telcontar, Ragaron Ratharonino..." or
                  "Eelassr Etlocantr, Aragorn Arathornion...")

                  > Am I on the right track here?

                  Yes, I tend to think this is the correct explanation.

                  It should be remembered that Quenya was not a language in daily use, though
                  it served as a source for particularly noble names. Every literate person
                  in Gondor must have known the Tengwar, but it is in no way certain that
                  non-scholars would be familiar with the (rather peculiar) Quenya spelling
                  mode. So Quenya names occurring in a Sindarin or Westron context would
                  naturally be written in much the same mode as the rest of the text, making
                  things much easier for both the writer and the reader. Possibly some
                  "loremasters" wouldn't be quite happy about it, but a universally accepted
                  standard orthography is not to be expected in a pseudo-medieval setting
                  like Middle-earth.

                  - HKF
                • machhezan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
                    <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
                    > It should be remembered that Quenya was not a language in daily
                    > use, though it served as a source for particularly noble names.
                    > Every literate person in Gondor must have known the Tengwar, but it
                    > is in no way certain that non-scholars would be familiar with the
                    > (rather peculiar) Quenya spelling mode. So Quenya names occurring
                    > in a Sindarin or Westron context would naturally be written in much
                    > the same mode as the rest of the text, making things much easier
                    > for both the writer and the reader.

                    DTS 38 provides us with an instance of a 'general use' Quenya text
                    that is not within a Sindarin or Westron context. We might speculate
                    that the text could be supposed to be written by a very literate
                    Sindarin speaker. I think that this specimen suggest, as I've said,

                    g_0ry@_^s: