Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [elfscript] Thirteen in Elvish?

Expand Messages
  • Harri Perälä
    ... There was a very similar question here some time ago. You may want to see what was suggested then (search for thirteen in the archives). ... I m not sure
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6, 2004
      randa2586 wrote:
      > I want to get a tattoo of the word 'thirteen' written in elvish.

      There was a very similar question here some time ago. You may want to
      see what was suggested then (search for "thirteen" in the archives).

      > if there are any tutorials you could recommend, that would
      > be great.

      I'm not sure if there is tutorial-like material about transcribing
      English (if that is what you want to do; as has often been said here,
      "in Elvish" can mean many things). If you want a practical approach, you
      can always take a tengwar inscription by Tolkien and try to decipher it
      letter by letter. One collection of links to online material is
      http://sweb.cz/Calwen.Rudh/Fonts&guides.htm.

      Harri Perälä
    • Stephanie Slater
      hi you emailed me. i m also in the elvish group you re in. how much about the tengwar do you know? i would like to know more. my name is stephanie and i m 17
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 6, 2004
        hi you emailed me. i'm also in the elvish group you're
        in. how much about the tengwar do you know? i would
        like to know more. my name is stephanie and i'm 17
        also.
        stephanie

        __________________________________________________
        Do You Yahoo!?
        Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • fradeve virgilio
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
          <laurifindil wrote:
          Neither did I after more than 20 years into tengwar and Elvish. :)

          These terms ("early mode" or "later convention") have been made up
          by "fans" and not by Tolkien. Usually, "fans" tend to forget to
          clearly state what is made up on their site and what is genuine
          stuff... But then hey ! They would become "scholars"... Weird
          thing. :) :) :)

          You should be VERY cearfull with what you read about tengwar on
          Internet. And better to use Appendix E of LOTR, it has 80% of what
          we know about tengwar.

          A "full mode" is a mode of writting in which vowels are written with
          tengwar, not as diacritical signs under or over the tengwa. One of
          such mode is "the Mode of Beleriand" as seen on the Doors of Moria.

          Cheers>

          So, tanks a lot for your suggests...
        • fradeve virgilio
          I’ve a problem with the tengwar writing of Quenya numbers… I want to write “8 July 2004” in Quenya. I’ve downloaded a program that can transcribe a
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
            I’ve a problem with the tengwar writing of Quenya numbers…

            I want to write “8 July 2004” in Quenya.

            I’ve downloaded a program that can transcribe a number in tengwar (also I
            don’t understand in

            which way this program can translate a number to tengwar,, with wich
            process… but this isn’t important).

            The main problem is: in which way can I write “july” with tengwar? (I’m
            Italian and in my lang July is “Luglio”)

            I must insert this script in my book of Quenya Course, and for this reason I
            want to scribe it with the Classic Quenya Mode (I don’t want to use a mode
            for Italian).

            But in this mode I can’t transcribe the _g_ of _Luglio_.

            A solution may be to indicate July with the name of Postlithe (the Calendar
            of the Shire), but the “8 july” not correspond to “8 Postlithe”,

            because in the Calendar of the Shire each month has a particular number of
            days (for example, February has 25 days… so, 8 july can’t correspond to 8
            Postlithe).

            Is there another Quenya name for this month, or another way to scribe it in
            Quenya, with tengwar?

            Regards,



            Leron delle Guglie



            _____

            Da: fradeve virgilio [mailto:fradeve11@...]
            Inviato: mercoledì 7 luglio 2004 15.27
            A: elfscript@yahoogroups.com
            Oggetto: R: [elfscript] Re: The Later Convention??



            <laurifindil wrote:
            Neither did I after more than 20 years into tengwar and Elvish. :)

            These terms ("early mode" or "later convention") have been made up
            by "fans" and not by Tolkien. Usually, "fans" tend to forget to
            clearly state what is made up on their site and what is genuine
            stuff... But then hey ! They would become "scholars"... Weird
            thing. :) :) :)

            You should be VERY cearfull with what you read about tengwar on
            Internet. And better to use Appendix E of LOTR, it has 80% of what
            we know about tengwar.

            A "full mode" is a mode of writting in which vowels are written with
            tengwar, not as diacritical signs under or over the tengwa. One of
            such mode is "the Mode of Beleriand" as seen on the Doors of Moria.

            Cheers>

            So, tanks a lot for your suggests...




            To Post a message, send it to: elfscript@...
            To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: elfscript-unsubscribe@...






            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor



            ADVERTISEMENT

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129p8urfq/M=288055.5065205.6192284.2004029/D=gr
            oups/S=1705218811:HM/EXP=1089293217/A=2193924/R=0/SIG=12h9oogn4/*http:/store
            .yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?yhst-56407110520241+nsXvzK+icopydvds2.html> click
            here



            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=288055.5065205.6192284.2004029/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2193924/rand=882007416>



            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            * To visit your group on the web, go to:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/

            * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            elfscript-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:elfscript-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

            * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Terms of Service.



            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Harri Perälä
            ... I think you could use Cermie from Appendix D. I don t see a problem with using the Quenya names from Middle-earth calendars to translate month names of our
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 11, 2004
              fradeve virgilio wrote:
              > I want to write “8 July 2004” in Quenya.

              I think you could use Cermie from Appendix D. I don't see a problem with
              using the Quenya names from Middle-earth calendars to translate month
              names of our calendar. The English names of months and days of the week
              that appear in The Lord of the Rings are supposed to be translations
              (without any date conversions) of original names used in the Red Book.
              This would be almost the same thing, but in the opposite direction. By
              the way, Postlithe appears to be an Italian translation; it's Afterlithe
              in the original.

              > I must insert this script in my book of Quenya Course, and for this
              > reason I want to scribe it with the Classic Quenya Mode (I don’t want
              > to use a mode for Italian).
              > But in this mode I can’t transcribe the _g_ of _Luglio_.

              If I'm not mistaken, there are no examples of how of such "foreign"
              sounds and combinations would be handled in the middle of a document
              written in the classical Quenya mode. If the problematic word or name
              was in a language that had a standard tengwar spelling, it would seem
              reasonable to write it according to that mode.

              I actually might have expected "Elessar Telcontar" in the King's Letters
              to be written in the classical mode that App. E calls "the standard
              spelling of Quenya", but it's in the same mode as the rest of the
              document. From a modern perspective, this is maybe a bit odd: if the
              English name "Strider" is mentioned in a document written in any
              language that uses the Latin alphabet, it is still written "Strider".

              I can think of some possible reasons why the Letters are written the way
              they are:
              - Quenya was written in other modes as well as the "standard spelling",
              so readers were used to seeing different spellings of Quenya words.
              - Having only one spelling for a name was not considered as important in
              the Third/Fourth Age as it is today.
              - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
              "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing. (The Latin
              alphabet equivalent might be "Elessar Telcontar, Ragaron Ratharonino..."
              or "Eelassr Etlocantr, Aragorn Arathornion...")

              Am I on the right track here?

              Harri Perälä
            • machhezan
              ... Letters ... That s a very good example! I wasn t conscious but of the counterexample, the Quenya mode words (though not classical Quenya mode) within the
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 11, 2004
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Harri Perälä <harri.perala@l...> wrote:
                > If I'm not mistaken, there are no examples of how of such "foreign"
                > sounds and combinations would be handled in the middle of a document
                > written in the classical Quenya mode. If the problematic word or name
                > was in a language that had a standard tengwar spelling, it would seem
                > reasonable to write it according to that mode.


                > I actually might have expected "Elessar Telcontar" in the King's
                Letters
                > to be written in the classical mode that App. E calls "the standard
                > spelling of Quenya", but it's in the same mode as the rest of the
                > document. From a modern perspective, this is maybe a bit odd: if the
                > English name "Strider" is mentioned in a document written in any
                > language that uses the Latin alphabet, it is still written "Strider".

                That's a very good example! I wasn't conscious but of the
                counterexample, the Quenya mode words (though not 'classical' Quenya
                mode) within the Anglo-Saxon mode of Lowdham's manuscript in DTS 50
                (neither is described on the net, I think).

                > I can think of some possible reasons why the Letters are written the
                way
                > they are:
                > - Quenya was written in other modes as well as the "standard spelling",
                > so readers were used to seeing different spellings of Quenya words.
                > - Having only one spelling for a name was not considered as
                important in
                > the Third/Fourth Age as it is today.
                > - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
                > "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing.

                Three very good reasons. We might even speculate that in Gondor,
                Quenya was normally spelt according to the general use, as seen in the
                Return of the King jacket (DTS 38) and in the example you've given
                which are the only examples that can be identified as Gondorian with a
                certain security. I don't think that there's any evidence in app. E
                that would prove this speculation to be wrong.

                ---------------------------
                j. 'mach' wust
                http://machhezan.tripod.com
                ---------------------------
              • fradeve virgilio
                I saw the Appendix D only after posted my message. So, _cermie_ is the perfect solution at all my problems with months. Really I don t know that Postlithe is
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
                  I saw the Appendix D only after posted my message.
                  So, _cermie_ is the perfect solution at all my problems with months.

                  Really I don't know that Postlithe is an Italian translation of Afterlithe
                  (usually the latin radix "Post" is perfectly integrated with the English
                  language, so I thought that this name of month was in the original lang...)

                  In this way, if I use _cermie_ the _g_ of "Luglio" is not a problem.
                  I can write perfectly _cermie_ with the classic tengwar mode for Quenya.

                  I think also your thoughts are perfectly correct...
                  But I'm too inexpert to give an absolutely correct opinion!

                  Regards,

                  Fradeve Virgilio
                • Helge K. Fauskanger
                  ... postposited and preposited tehtar would be too confusing. (The Latin alphabet equivalent might be Elessar Telcontar, Ragaron Ratharonino... or
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
                    Harri Perälä wrote (one of several explanations):

                    > - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
                    "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing. (The Latin
                    alphabet equivalent might be "Elessar Telcontar, Ragaron Ratharonino..." or
                    "Eelassr Etlocantr, Aragorn Arathornion...")
                    >
                    > Am I on the right track here?

                    Yes, I tend to think this is the correct explanation.

                    It should be remembered that Quenya was not a language in daily use, though
                    it served as a source for particularly noble names. Every literate person
                    in Gondor must have known the Tengwar, but it is in no way certain that
                    non-scholars would be familiar with the (rather peculiar) Quenya spelling
                    mode. So Quenya names occurring in a Sindarin or Westron context would
                    naturally be written in much the same mode as the rest of the text, making
                    things much easier for both the writer and the reader. Possibly some
                    "loremasters" wouldn't be quite happy about it, but a universally accepted
                    standard orthography is not to be expected in a pseudo-medieval setting
                    like Middle-earth.

                    - HKF
                  • machhezan
                    ... DTS 38 provides us with an instance of a general use Quenya text that is not within a Sindarin or Westron context. We might speculate that the text could
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Helge K. Fauskanger"
                      <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
                      > It should be remembered that Quenya was not a language in daily
                      > use, though it served as a source for particularly noble names.
                      > Every literate person in Gondor must have known the Tengwar, but it
                      > is in no way certain that non-scholars would be familiar with the
                      > (rather peculiar) Quenya spelling mode. So Quenya names occurring
                      > in a Sindarin or Westron context would naturally be written in much
                      > the same mode as the rest of the text, making things much easier
                      > for both the writer and the reader.

                      DTS 38 provides us with an instance of a 'general use' Quenya text
                      that is not within a Sindarin or Westron context. We might speculate
                      that the text could be supposed to be written by a very literate
                      Sindarin speaker. I think that this specimen suggest, as I've said,
                      that in Gondor, Quenya was normally spelt according to the general
                      use.

                      g_0ry@_^s:
                      j. 'mach' wust
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.