Thirteen in Elvish?

  • randa2586
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2004
      I want to get a tattoo of the word 'thirteen' written in elvish. i
      have it written in tengwar, but i am so lost in learning the whole
      process. i don't learn very well reading, and since you can't just
      find people that know elvish, i'm at a disadvantage. the picture i
      have of the word i got from a generator, so it's probably wrong. i've
      read some stuff, but it really makes no sense to me. i was wondering
      if anyone could look at the picture and tell me if it's close, and
      how to make it actually Elvish script, not just some letters thrown
      together. if there are any tutorials you could recommend, that would
      be great. thanks so much.
    • Ice Wolf
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2004
        http://www.ffn.ub.es/~felixcas/teng-que.pdf

        http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Elven+numerals&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

        randa2586 <randa2586@...> wrote:
        I want to get a tattoo of the word 'thirteen' written in elvish. i
        have it written in tengwar, but i am so lost in learning the whole
        process. i don't learn very well reading, and since you can't just
        find people that know elvish, i'm at a disadvantage. the picture i
        have of the word i got from a generator, so it's probably wrong. i've
        read some stuff, but it really makes no sense to me. i was wondering
        if anyone could look at the picture and tell me if it's close, and
        how to make it actually Elvish script, not just some letters thrown
        together. if there are any tutorials you could recommend, that would
        be great. thanks so much.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • fradeve virgilio
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
          Hi!

          My nick is Leron delle Guglie, I'm 17 yo and I'm Italian.

          So, since about 1 year I'm interesting of Tolkien languages 8speaking and
          writing), so to solve

          some problems that I have with my studies, I have decided to write on these
          mailing list.

          Regards

          Leron

        • fradeve virgilio
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
            I’m studying tengwar modes, in particolar the “full modes”. In these, there
            is the “Early Mode”… But I haven’t understood exactly what it is…

            And in the same paragraph: “vowel tengwar differs from those in the Later
            Convention (c = e etc.).”

            What’s the Later Convention??

            Namárië

            Leron delle Guglie

          • laurifindil
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5, 2004
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fradeve virgilio"
              <fradeve11@v...> wrote:
              > I'm studying tengwar modes, in particolar the "full modes". In
              these, there
              > is the "Early Mode"… But I haven't understood exactly what it is…

              Neither did I after more than 20 years into tengwar and Elvish. :)

              These terms ("early mode" or "later convention") have been made up
              by "fans" and not by Tolkien. Usually, "fans" tend to forget to
              clearly state what is made up on their site and what is genuine
              stuff... But then hey ! They would become "scholars"... Weird
              thing. :) :) :)

              You should be VERY cearfull with what you read about tengwar on
              Internet. And better to use Appendix E of LOTR, it has 80% of what
              we know about tengwar.

              A "full mode" is a mode of writting in which vowels are written with
              tengwar, not as diacritical signs under or over the tengwa. One of
              such mode is "the Mode of Beleriand" as seen on the Doors of Moria.

              cheers
            • Harri Perälä
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 6, 2004
                randa2586 wrote:
                > I want to get a tattoo of the word 'thirteen' written in elvish.

                There was a very similar question here some time ago. You may want to
                see what was suggested then (search for "thirteen" in the archives).

                > if there are any tutorials you could recommend, that would
                > be great.

                I'm not sure if there is tutorial-like material about transcribing
                English (if that is what you want to do; as has often been said here,
                "in Elvish" can mean many things). If you want a practical approach, you
                can always take a tengwar inscription by Tolkien and try to decipher it
                letter by letter. One collection of links to online material is
                http://sweb.cz/Calwen.Rudh/Fonts&guides.htm.

                Harri Perälä
              • Stephanie Slater
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 6, 2004
                  hi you emailed me. i'm also in the elvish group you're
                  in. how much about the tengwar do you know? i would
                  like to know more. my name is stephanie and i'm 17
                  also.
                  stephanie

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • fradeve virgilio
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
                    <laurifindil wrote:
                    Neither did I after more than 20 years into tengwar and Elvish. :)

                    These terms ("early mode" or "later convention") have been made up
                    by "fans" and not by Tolkien. Usually, "fans" tend to forget to
                    clearly state what is made up on their site and what is genuine
                    stuff... But then hey ! They would become "scholars"... Weird
                    thing. :) :) :)

                    You should be VERY cearfull with what you read about tengwar on
                    Internet. And better to use Appendix E of LOTR, it has 80% of what
                    we know about tengwar.

                    A "full mode" is a mode of writting in which vowels are written with
                    tengwar, not as diacritical signs under or over the tengwa. One of
                    such mode is "the Mode of Beleriand" as seen on the Doors of Moria.

                    Cheers>

                    So, tanks a lot for your suggests...
                  • fradeve virgilio
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
                      I’ve a problem with the tengwar writing of Quenya numbers…

                      I want to write “8 July 2004” in Quenya.

                      I’ve downloaded a program that can transcribe a number in tengwar (also I
                      don’t understand in

                      which way this program can translate a number to tengwar,, with wich
                      process… but this isn’t important).

                      The main problem is: in which way can I write “july” with tengwar? (I’m
                      Italian and in my lang July is “Luglio”)

                      I must insert this script in my book of Quenya Course, and for this reason I
                      want to scribe it with the Classic Quenya Mode (I don’t want to use a mode
                      for Italian).

                      But in this mode I can’t transcribe the _g_ of _Luglio_.

                      A solution may be to indicate July with the name of Postlithe (the Calendar
                      of the Shire), but the “8 july” not correspond to “8 Postlithe”,

                      because in the Calendar of the Shire each month has a particular number of
                      days (for example, February has 25 days… so, 8 july can’t correspond to 8
                      Postlithe).

                      Is there another Quenya name for this month, or another way to scribe it in
                      Quenya, with tengwar?

                      Regards,

                      Leron delle Guglie

                      _____

                      Neither did I after more than 20 years into tengwar and Elvish. :)

                      These terms ("early mode" or "later convention") have been made up
                      by "fans" and not by Tolkien. Usually, "fans" tend to forget to
                      clearly state what is made up on their site and what is genuine
                      stuff... But then hey ! They would become "scholars"... Weird
                      thing. :) :) :)

                      You should be VERY cearfull with what you read about tengwar on
                      Internet. And better to use Appendix E of LOTR, it has 80% of what
                      we know about tengwar.

                      A "full mode" is a mode of writting in which vowels are written with
                      tengwar, not as diacritical signs under or over the tengwa. One of
                      such mode is "the Mode of Beleriand" as seen on the Doors of Moria.

                      Cheers>

                      So, tanks a lot for your suggests...

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129p8urfq/M=288055.5065205.6192284.2004029/D=gr
                      oups/S=1705218811:HM/EXP=1089293217/A=2193924/R=0/SIG=12h9oogn4/*http:/store
                      .yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?yhst-56407110520241+nsXvzK+icopydvds2.html> click
                      here

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=288055.5065205.6192284.2004029/D=groups/S=
                      :HM/A=2193924/rand=882007416>

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Harri Perälä
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 11, 2004
                        fradeve virgilio wrote:
                        > I want to write “8 July 2004” in Quenya.

                        I think you could use Cermie from Appendix D. I don't see a problem with
                        using the Quenya names from Middle-earth calendars to translate month
                        names of our calendar. The English names of months and days of the week
                        that appear in The Lord of the Rings are supposed to be translations
                        (without any date conversions) of original names used in the Red Book.
                        This would be almost the same thing, but in the opposite direction. By
                        the way, Postlithe appears to be an Italian translation; it's Afterlithe
                        in the original.

                        > I must insert this script in my book of Quenya Course, and for this
                        > reason I want to scribe it with the Classic Quenya Mode (I don’t want
                        > to use a mode for Italian).
                        > But in this mode I can’t transcribe the _g_ of _Luglio_.

                        If I'm not mistaken, there are no examples of how of such "foreign"
                        sounds and combinations would be handled in the middle of a document
                        written in the classical Quenya mode. If the problematic word or name
                        was in a language that had a standard tengwar spelling, it would seem
                        reasonable to write it according to that mode.

                        I actually might have expected "Elessar Telcontar" in the King's Letters
                        to be written in the classical mode that App. E calls "the standard
                        spelling of Quenya", but it's in the same mode as the rest of the
                        document. From a modern perspective, this is maybe a bit odd: if the
                        English name "Strider" is mentioned in a document written in any
                        language that uses the Latin alphabet, it is still written "Strider".

                        I can think of some possible reasons why the Letters are written the way
                        they are:
                        - Quenya was written in other modes as well as the "standard spelling",
                        so readers were used to seeing different spellings of Quenya words.
                        - Having only one spelling for a name was not considered as important in
                        the Third/Fourth Age as it is today.
                        - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
                        "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing. (The Latin
                        alphabet equivalent might be "Elessar Telcontar, Ragaron Ratharonino..."
                        or "Eelassr Etlocantr, Aragorn Arathornion...")

                        Am I on the right track here?

                        Harri Perälä
                      • machhezan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 11, 2004
                          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Harri Perälä <harri.perala@l...> wrote:
                          > If I'm not mistaken, there are no examples of how of such "foreign"
                          > sounds and combinations would be handled in the middle of a document
                          > written in the classical Quenya mode. If the problematic word or name
                          > was in a language that had a standard tengwar spelling, it would seem
                          > reasonable to write it according to that mode.

                          > I actually might have expected "Elessar Telcontar" in the King's
                          Letters
                          > to be written in the classical mode that App. E calls "the standard
                          > spelling of Quenya", but it's in the same mode as the rest of the
                          > document. From a modern perspective, this is maybe a bit odd: if the
                          > English name "Strider" is mentioned in a document written in any
                          > language that uses the Latin alphabet, it is still written "Strider".

                          That's a very good example! I wasn't conscious but of the
                          counterexample, the Quenya mode words (though not 'classical' Quenya
                          mode) within the Anglo-Saxon mode of Lowdham's manuscript in DTS 50
                          (neither is described on the net, I think).

                          > I can think of some possible reasons why the Letters are written the
                          way
                          > they are:
                          > - Quenya was written in other modes as well as the "standard spelling",
                          > so readers were used to seeing different spellings of Quenya words.
                          > - Having only one spelling for a name was not considered as
                          important in
                          > the Third/Fourth Age as it is today.
                          > - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
                          > "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing.

                          Three very good reasons. We might even speculate that in Gondor,
                          Quenya was normally spelt according to the general use, as seen in the
                          Return of the King jacket (DTS 38) and in the example you've given
                          which are the only examples that can be identified as Gondorian with a
                          certain security. I don't think that there's any evidence in app. E
                          that would prove this speculation to be wrong.

                        • fradeve virgilio
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
                            I saw the Appendix D only after posted my message.
                            So, _cermie_ is the perfect solution at all my problems with months.

                            Really I don't know that Postlithe is an Italian translation of Afterlithe
                            (usually the latin radix "Post" is perfectly integrated with the English
                            language, so I thought that this name of month was in the original lang...)

                            In this way, if I use _cermie_ the _g_ of "Luglio" is not a problem.
                            I can write perfectly _cermie_ with the classic tengwar mode for Quenya.

                            I think also your thoughts are perfectly correct...
                            But I'm too inexpert to give an absolutely correct opinion!

                            Regards,

                            Fradeve Virgilio
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
                              Harri Perälä wrote (one of several explanations):

                              > - At least in version III, written in a tehta mode, switching between
                              "postposited" and "preposited" tehtar would be too confusing. (The Latin
                              alphabet equivalent might be "Elessar Telcontar, Ragaron Ratharonino..." or
                              "Eelassr Etlocantr, Aragorn Arathornion...")

                              > Am I on the right track here?

                              Yes, I tend to think this is the correct explanation.

                              It should be remembered that Quenya was not a language in daily use, though
                              it served as a source for particularly noble names. Every literate person
                              in Gondor must have known the Tengwar, but it is in no way certain that
                              non-scholars would be familiar with the (rather peculiar) Quenya spelling
                              mode. So Quenya names occurring in a Sindarin or Westron context would
                              naturally be written in much the same mode as the rest of the text, making
                              things much easier for both the writer and the reader. Possibly some
                              "loremasters" wouldn't be quite happy about it, but a universally accepted
                              standard orthography is not to be expected in a pseudo-medieval setting
                              like Middle-earth.

                              - HKF
                            • machhezan
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
                                <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
                                > It should be remembered that Quenya was not a language in daily
                                > use, though it served as a source for particularly noble names.
                                > Every literate person in Gondor must have known the Tengwar, but it
                                > is in no way certain that non-scholars would be familiar with the
                                > (rather peculiar) Quenya spelling mode. So Quenya names occurring
                                > in a Sindarin or Westron context would naturally be written in much
                                > the same mode as the rest of the text, making things much easier
                                > for both the writer and the reader.

                                DTS 38 provides us with an instance of a 'general use' Quenya text
                                that is not within a Sindarin or Westron context. We might speculate
                                that the text could be supposed to be written by a very literate
                                Sindarin speaker. I think that this specimen suggest, as I've said,

                                g_0ry@_^s: