Re: [elfscript] Digest Number 848

  • sean white
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2004
      >I cannot recommend the wording you came up with. In
      Quenya this may do:
      "�
      etelelya, ar �va ruce morniello." (Go forth, and do
      not fear from
      darkness.)

      Using the normal fonts:

      ~C `V1RjRj�E = `C6 ~CyE 7UaR t^65%`Vj�Y

      <

      I'd be interested in knowing why my wording isn't
      correct, or as correct. I'm not saying it isn't, I'm
      just curious where I went wrong.

      Also, the "=" makes a floating dot when I use the
      various fonts. I just wanted to make sure this isn't
      an error.

      http://www.thefirehead.com/images/tattoo-5.jpg

      Thanks
      SEAN

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2004
        > I'd be interested in knowing why my wording isn't correct, or as correct.
        I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just curious where I went wrong.

        You rendered "forth, and fear no darkness" as _et sin arcaure la loome_.

        Maybe _et_ "out, forth" can be used as an interjection like this, but I am
        not convinced. _Sin_ means "now". _Arcaure_ must be two words _ar caure_,
        but while this does mean "and fear", _caure_ is "fear" as a NOUN, not as a
        verb. _La loome_ could mean "no(t) night/darkness", but this wording seems
        like an Anglicism to me. Tolkien's own examples indicate that _áva_ (or
        _ála_) is the negative command "do not". The verb "fear" is _ruc-_, said to
        be constructed with "from" (presumably the ablative case if prepositions
        are not used) of the thing that is feared. The standard translation of
        "darkness" is _mornie_, known from such a central text as Namárie. _Áva
        ruce morniello_ would seem to be an acceptable way of saying "do not fear
        darkness", when we put together all the pieces of info Tolkien provided. At
        least it is a wording that is rather easier to justify than "arcaure la
        loome", which I suspect is almost meaningless ("andfright no night"?)

        > Also, the "=" makes a floating dot when I use the various fonts. I just
        wanted to make sure this isn't an error.

        No, it's right. I believe this is what a proper Tengwa "comma" should look
        like. I use Tengscribe to produce the transcriptions I suggest here, but I
        make sure to have a space both before and following the comma before I let
        the software transcribe it: The "comma" should hover between two words, not
        attaching itself to either.

        - HKF