Re: Transcription Check

  • berscub
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004

      > Sorry to say this, I'm going to sound rude probably, but this have
      > made me really sad and dissapointed. The 'ber4u' looks awful! How
      can
      > you even think of using this shortening in the Elvish script, i.e.
      in
      > a piece of ART that tend to use this beautiful tool called
      _language_
      > in all means of the word...
      >
      > Lucy

      Well, as I said, it was a screen name I was transcribing and that is
      the way his screen name
      reads. Would you have preferred me to transcribe it as _berforyou_,
      replacing the numeral
      4 and the letter _u_ with the full words? I have done that, and have
      a picture of it in the
      photo section called berforyou. I found the _for_ and _you_ in the
      Index of Significant
      Samples. As far as the other _ber4u_ is concerned, is it correct for
      what it is?

      Thank you,
      Thomas
    • machhezan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "berscub" <berscub@y...> wrote:
        > Would you have preferred me to transcribe it as _berforyou_,
        > replacing the numeral
        > 4 and the letter _u_ with the full words? I have done that, and have
        > a picture of it in the
        > photo section called berforyou. I found the _for_ and _you_ in the
        > Index of Significant
        > Samples.

        There are samples of _for_ without tehta, though I wouldn't recommend
        to use them unless in an explicitly phonetic mode when unstressed,
        that is, I think it's better to put an o-tehta on the oore.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "berscub" <berscub@y...> wrote:
          > Well, as I said, it was a screen name I was transcribing and that is
          > the way his screen name
          > reads. Would you have preferred me to transcribe it as _berforyou_,
          > replacing the numeral
          > 4 and the letter _u_ with the full words? I have done that, and
          have
          > a picture of it in the
          > photo section called berforyou. I found the _for_ and _you_ in the
          > Index of Significant
          > Samples. As far as the other _ber4u_ is concerned, is it correct
          for
          > what it is?

          I know what is the screen name's function - but that is exactly the
          point: there is no place BMO for screen names in Tolkien's world. I
          can't quite understand the first part _ber_ but it actually doesn't
          matter. As Mach has already suggested, there is an O-tehta missing
          over the óre (the R in _for_).

          Lucy
        • berscub
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004

            > I know what is the screen name's function - but that is exactly the
            > point: there is no place BMO for screen names in Tolkien's world.

            Well, we can just nicely disagree on that. :)

            > As Mach has already suggested, there is an O-tehta missing
            > over the óre (the R in _for_).
            >
            > Lucy

            I had wondered about the O-tehta too, but there wasn't one on the
            sample I found. I wasn't sure whether or not there was some reason
            for its omission, so I opted to not add it without asking. Thank you
            both Lucy and Mach for taking the time to look these over for me
            and giving your input.

            ~thomas