Re: Transcription Check

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "berscub" <berscub@y...> wrote:
      > I've just transcribed a couple of screen names, ber4u and berscub,
      > and was wondering if
      > someone could please take a look at them and let me know if they are
      > O.K. The image is
      > in the photos section and it's called screen-name transcription.

      Sorry to say this, I'm going to sound rude probably, but this have
      made me really sad and dissapointed. The 'ber4u' looks awful! How can
      you even think of using this shortening in the Elvish script, i.e. in
      a piece of ART that tend to use this beautiful tool called _language_
      in all means of the word...

      The _berscub_ looks fine according to the 'script rules' though.

      Lucy
    • berscub
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004

        > Sorry to say this, I'm going to sound rude probably, but this have
        > made me really sad and dissapointed. The 'ber4u' looks awful! How
        can
        > you even think of using this shortening in the Elvish script, i.e.
        in
        > a piece of ART that tend to use this beautiful tool called
        _language_
        > in all means of the word...
        >
        > Lucy

        Well, as I said, it was a screen name I was transcribing and that is
        the way his screen name
        reads. Would you have preferred me to transcribe it as _berforyou_,
        replacing the numeral
        4 and the letter _u_ with the full words? I have done that, and have
        a picture of it in the
        photo section called berforyou. I found the _for_ and _you_ in the
        Index of Significant
        Samples. As far as the other _ber4u_ is concerned, is it correct for
        what it is?

        Thank you,
        Thomas
      • machhezan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "berscub" <berscub@y...> wrote:
          > Would you have preferred me to transcribe it as _berforyou_,
          > replacing the numeral
          > 4 and the letter _u_ with the full words? I have done that, and have
          > a picture of it in the
          > photo section called berforyou. I found the _for_ and _you_ in the
          > Index of Significant
          > Samples.

          There are samples of _for_ without tehta, though I wouldn't recommend
          to use them unless in an explicitly phonetic mode when unstressed,
          that is, I think it's better to put an o-tehta on the oore.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "berscub" <berscub@y...> wrote:
            > Well, as I said, it was a screen name I was transcribing and that is
            > the way his screen name
            > reads. Would you have preferred me to transcribe it as _berforyou_,
            > replacing the numeral
            > 4 and the letter _u_ with the full words? I have done that, and
            have
            > a picture of it in the
            > photo section called berforyou. I found the _for_ and _you_ in the
            > Index of Significant
            > Samples. As far as the other _ber4u_ is concerned, is it correct
            for
            > what it is?

            I know what is the screen name's function - but that is exactly the
            point: there is no place BMO for screen names in Tolkien's world. I
            can't quite understand the first part _ber_ but it actually doesn't
            matter. As Mach has already suggested, there is an O-tehta missing
            over the óre (the R in _for_).

            Lucy
          • berscub
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004

              > I know what is the screen name's function - but that is exactly the
              > point: there is no place BMO for screen names in Tolkien's world.

              Well, we can just nicely disagree on that. :)

              > As Mach has already suggested, there is an O-tehta missing
              > over the óre (the R in _for_).
              >
              > Lucy

              I had wondered about the O-tehta too, but there wasn't one on the
              sample I found. I wasn't sure whether or not there was some reason
              for its omission, so I opted to not add it without asking. Thank you
              both Lucy and Mach for taking the time to look these over for me
              and giving your input.

              ~thomas