Transcription Check

  • berscub
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
      I've just transcribed a couple of screen names, ber4u and berscub,
      and was wondering if
      someone could please take a look at them and let me know if they are
      O.K. The image is
      in the photos section and it's called screen-name transcription.

      Thanks for your time,
      ~thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "berscub" <berscub@y...> wrote:
        > I've just transcribed a couple of screen names, ber4u and berscub,
        > and was wondering if
        > someone could please take a look at them and let me know if they are
        > O.K. The image is
        > in the photos section and it's called screen-name transcription.

        Sorry to say this, I'm going to sound rude probably, but this have
        made me really sad and dissapointed. The 'ber4u' looks awful! How can
        you even think of using this shortening in the Elvish script, i.e. in
        a piece of ART that tend to use this beautiful tool called _language_
        in all means of the word...

        The _berscub_ looks fine according to the 'script rules' though.

        Lucy
      • berscub
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004

          > Sorry to say this, I'm going to sound rude probably, but this have
          > made me really sad and dissapointed. The 'ber4u' looks awful! How
          can
          > you even think of using this shortening in the Elvish script, i.e.
          in
          > a piece of ART that tend to use this beautiful tool called
          _language_
          > in all means of the word...
          >
          > Lucy

          Well, as I said, it was a screen name I was transcribing and that is
          the way his screen name
          reads. Would you have preferred me to transcribe it as _berforyou_,
          replacing the numeral
          4 and the letter _u_ with the full words? I have done that, and have
          a picture of it in the
          photo section called berforyou. I found the _for_ and _you_ in the
          Index of Significant
          Samples. As far as the other _ber4u_ is concerned, is it correct for
          what it is?

          Thank you,
          Thomas
        • machhezan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "berscub" <berscub@y...> wrote:
            > Would you have preferred me to transcribe it as _berforyou_,
            > replacing the numeral
            > 4 and the letter _u_ with the full words? I have done that, and have
            > a picture of it in the
            > photo section called berforyou. I found the _for_ and _you_ in the
            > Index of Significant
            > Samples.

            There are samples of _for_ without tehta, though I wouldn't recommend
            to use them unless in an explicitly phonetic mode when unstressed,
            that is, I think it's better to put an o-tehta on the oore.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "berscub" <berscub@y...> wrote:
              > Well, as I said, it was a screen name I was transcribing and that is
              > the way his screen name
              > reads. Would you have preferred me to transcribe it as _berforyou_,
              > replacing the numeral
              > 4 and the letter _u_ with the full words? I have done that, and
              have
              > a picture of it in the
              > photo section called berforyou. I found the _for_ and _you_ in the
              > Index of Significant
              > Samples. As far as the other _ber4u_ is concerned, is it correct
              for
              > what it is?

              I know what is the screen name's function - but that is exactly the
              point: there is no place BMO for screen names in Tolkien's world. I
              can't quite understand the first part _ber_ but it actually doesn't
              matter. As Mach has already suggested, there is an O-tehta missing
              over the óre (the R in _for_).

              Lucy
            • berscub
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004

                > I know what is the screen name's function - but that is exactly the
                > point: there is no place BMO for screen names in Tolkien's world.

                Well, we can just nicely disagree on that. :)

                > As Mach has already suggested, there is an O-tehta missing
                > over the óre (the R in _for_).
                >
                > Lucy

                I had wondered about the O-tehta too, but there wasn't one on the
                sample I found. I wasn't sure whether or not there was some reason
                for its omission, so I opted to not add it without asking. Thank you
                both Lucy and Mach for taking the time to look these over for me
                and giving your input.

                ~thomas