I'm new, so that means I have questions!

  • sean white
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
      Well, hello everyone. I hope this group is still active. I ran across it in my search for more Tengwar fonts.

      Ok so I've been thinking about getting an Elvish tattoo for quite some time. The phrase is from Return of the King, when Theoden yells to his men, "Forth, and fear no darkness!"

      Here is the best translation I've been able to come up with:

      et sin arcaure la loome

      I used some fonts and a picture of my arm to get an idea what it might look like.

      http://www.thefirehead.com/images/

      I just want some other people to look over my translation and transcription to make sure I haven't made any glaring errors.

      I'm getting this tattoo in less than a week, so any help would be appreciated!

      SEAN

    • machhezan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
        sean white wrote:
        > et sin arcaure la loome

        Your transcription reads _ep sim av cauve laa looma_.

        ep: take tinco not parma
        sim: take nuumen not malta
        av: take oore not vala; join it with the following
        cauve: take roomen not vala
        laa: place the tehta on the lambe; remove the long carrier
        looma: take the acute tehta, not the three points

        The letter names I used for reference can be found in appendix E of
        the Lord of the Rings, but also in many places on the web, e.g. here:

        http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_names.htm

        Some of the tehtar you've used could be placed more properly (that's
        why the standard fonts like the one you've used have four versions of
        each).

        I don't know any Elvish, so I can't tell you whether your translation
        is reasonable or not.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2004
          > Ok so I've been thinking about getting an Elvish tattoo for quite some
          time. The phrase is from Return of the King, when Theoden yells to his men,
          "Forth, and fear no darkness!"

          I cannot recommend the wording you came up with. In Quenya this may do: "Á
          etelelya, ar áva ruce morniello." (Go forth, and do not fear from
          darkness.)

          Using the normal fonts:

          ~C `V1RjRj´E = `C6 ~CyE 7UaR t^65%`Vj¸Y