Re: (unknown)

  • machhezan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2004
      Harri Perälä wrote:
      > calwen76 wrote:
      > > The first row shows these two words written in a tehta mode
      > > (Original?), second row shows Beleriand style (full mode) seen in
      > > e.g. the King's Letter.

      "Original" is a post-Tolkien term and I don't it's very accurate. Why
      should this mode be more 'original' than other attested modes. You'd
      better call it 'general use English', or alternatively, 'English
      tehtar mode'.

      > Why the long carrier in "pure" in the first row?

      There isn't a long carrier in Tolkien's samples of similar sounds.

      > I notice you use óre before the final silent e in the first row and
      > rómen in the second. Are there samples that show this was Tolkien's
      > usage in these modes, or is there room for interpretation?

      In Tolkien's English modes, the usage of óre vs. rómen is similar to
      that of thúle vs. anto (in both phonetic and orthographic spelling):
      it reflects a difference in pronunciation. Rómen represents pronounced
      'r', óre represents dropped 'r' (a distinction which is only found in
      r-dropping dialects of English, like e.g. Received Pronunciation,
      where 'court' is pronounced the same as 'caught').