Re: vowels

  • i_degilbor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2004
      Teithant Aranel:
      > Which is the correct way to write the omatehtar for A. as three
      > dots or as three vertical dashes? Are both correct? I recently
      got
      > a tattoo of my name in elvish and the A is represented as three
      > dots. Thanks!

      Three dots. As a calligraphic variant in the inscription of the One
      Ring, three strokes (one vertical, two diagonal) are used. I assume
      that's what you meant by 'dashes'. In informal handwriting, a
      circumflex accent was sometimes used for 'a'. In Quenya, the tehta
      for 'a' could be left out altogether. But most commonly, three dots
      were used.