Re: Question on Tengwar modes

  • Estel
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2004
      Thank you very much for the help!!! I had a feeling that there would
      be a quenya mode...for it seemed way too easy that you could use the
      english mode for quenya. and it doesn't make too much sense
      either. Well, thanks once again. I shall learn the mode,
      transcribe my phrase, and then post it for all of your approval!
      thanks you!!!!
      -Estel

      <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
      > Teithant Estel:
      > > I have a newbie-like question...What is the mode used for
      writing
      > > Quenya? Is it similar or the same to the English mode.
      >
      > I would suggest the classical Quenya mode. It is very different
      from
      > the various English modes, but not difficult to learn. Check Måns
      > Björkman's 'Amanye Tenceli' site (
      > http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at ). On the Tengwar Modes page,
      click
      > on Classical Mode (the first listed under Ómatehtar Modes), and
      > you'll find a detailed article describing the mode.
      >
      > Cuio mae, Danny.
    • machhezan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2004
        Estel wrote:
        > it seemed way too easy that you could use the
        > english mode for quenya. and it doesn't make too much sense
        > either.

        At least for some particular persons, it made a lot of sense, e.g. for
        a certain English professor of indoeuropean philology: J. R. R. Tolkien.

        Of course, the classical Quenya mode may be more authentic and
        especially suited to write Quenya, but the general use makes sense as
        well. If we judge by the number of attested samples, then we must
        conclude that Tolkien preferred the general use to the classical
        Quenya mode, since the former is attested in DTS38, DTS42, DTS43,
        DTS44, DTS46, DTS54, DTS56, DTS57, and DTS59, whereas the latter's
        only attested in DTS19, DTS20 (which is identical to DTS19), DTS26,
        and DTS55 (additionally, there are two Quenya texts where we can't say
        to which mode they belong, DTS12, and DTS40. For sure, the longest
        attested Quenya texts are written in the classical mode, DTS 19/20 and
        DTS55.