Re: I am getting a tattoo for my 36th B-day - please confirm follow up

    Message 1 of 12 , May 12, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "guitarprof68"
      <courtneycherry@y...> wrote:
      > WOW! I am truly impressed. You have taken this to a Phd Thesis
      kind
      > of level. You have convinced me - thanks for you knowledge and
      > patience in answering my questions!

      This is what we all are used to do here when dealing with the
      languages :)

      > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like. You are welcome
      > e-mail me directly
      >
      > ph@s...

      As you can see, Yahoo! forbids to see the whole e-mail address (in
      order to protect them). I've uploaded the picture of *Sindarin
      *_lindath_ and *_linnath_ for 'music' lit. 'host of tunes' in two
      attested modes of Tengwar for Sindarin. Now when I read it for
      myself, I'd say the latter is more plausible to be the right word.

      Let me also correct and complete my previous guesses:
      > > Maybe *_lindath_ (host of tunes)

      or *_linnath_

      > > or *_lindas_ (great tunes)

      no, the translation would rather be sg. 'great tune'; *_linnas_ being
      more plausible to be correct, (for those interested, see e.g. S
      _rammas_ (LR/V:I) 'great wall' < N _rham, rhamb_ 'wall' (S:436) or N
      _thambas, thamas_ 'great hall' < N _tham, thamb_ 'hall' (both E:387-
      8), which would possibly yield S *_thammas_).

      Both *_linnath_ and *_linnas_ are melodious to my ear :)

      Lucy

      p.s. my email address is:
      calwen dot rudh at seznam dot cz (this is the way to elude the Yahoo!
      protection practice).
      Message 2 of 12 , May 12, 2004
        > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like.

        One detail: The form *_lindath_ could appear in archaic Sindarin, but in
        Frodo's day the current form would long have been *_linnath_.

        As a translation of "music", the attested form _lind_ "air, tune" is
        perhaps good enough. Another possible abstract formation could be
        *_linnas_.

        - HKF
        Message 3 of 12 , May 13, 2004
          <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
          > > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like.
          >
          > One detail: The form *_lindath_ could appear in archaic Sindarin,
          but in
          > Frodo's day the current form would long have been *_linnath_.
          >
          > As a translation of "music", the attested form _lind_ "air, tune" is
          > perhaps good enough. Another possible abstract formation could be
          > *_linnas_.
          >
          > - HKF

          Yes, that is exactly the same I've mentioned in my post 3784 while
          correcting my previous suggestions. :)

          thanks for actually confirming my ideas.

          lucy