Re: I am getting a tattoo for my 36th B-day - please confirm follow up

  • guitarprof68
    Message 1 of 12 , May 11, 2004
      Lucy,

      WOW! I am truly impressed. You have taken this to a Phd Thesis kind
      of level. You have convinced me - thanks for you knowledge and
      patience in answering my questions!

      Phil

      PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like. You are welcome to
      e-mail me directly

      ph@...

      Message 2 of 12 , May 12, 2004
        <courtneycherry@y...> wrote:
        > WOW! I am truly impressed. You have taken this to a Phd Thesis
        kind
        > of level. You have convinced me - thanks for you knowledge and
        > patience in answering my questions!

        This is what we all are used to do here when dealing with the
        languages :)

        > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like. You are welcome
        > e-mail me directly
        >
        > ph@s...

        As you can see, Yahoo! forbids to see the whole e-mail address (in
        order to protect them). I've uploaded the picture of *Sindarin
        *_lindath_ and *_linnath_ for 'music' lit. 'host of tunes' in two
        attested modes of Tengwar for Sindarin. Now when I read it for
        myself, I'd say the latter is more plausible to be the right word.

        Let me also correct and complete my previous guesses:
        > > Maybe *_lindath_ (host of tunes)

        or *_linnath_

        > > or *_lindas_ (great tunes)

        no, the translation would rather be sg. 'great tune'; *_linnas_ being
        more plausible to be correct, (for those interested, see e.g. S
        _rammas_ (LR/V:I) 'great wall' < N _rham, rhamb_ 'wall' (S:436) or N
        _thambas, thamas_ 'great hall' < N _tham, thamb_ 'hall' (both E:387-
        8), which would possibly yield S *_thammas_).

        Both *_linnath_ and *_linnas_ are melodious to my ear :)

        Lucy

        p.s. my email address is:
        calwen dot rudh at seznam dot cz (this is the way to elude the Yahoo!
        protection practice).
        Message 3 of 12 , May 12, 2004
          > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like.

          One detail: The form *_lindath_ could appear in archaic Sindarin, but in
          Frodo's day the current form would long have been *_linnath_.

          As a translation of "music", the attested form _lind_ "air, tune" is
          perhaps good enough. Another possible abstract formation could be
          *_linnas_.

          - HKF
          Message 4 of 12 , May 13, 2004
            <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
            > > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like.
            >
            > One detail: The form *_lindath_ could appear in archaic Sindarin,
            but in
            > Frodo's day the current form would long have been *_linnath_.
            >
            > As a translation of "music", the attested form _lind_ "air, tune" is
            > perhaps good enough. Another possible abstract formation could be
            > *_linnas_.
            >
            > - HKF

            Yes, that is exactly the same I've mentioned in my post 3784 while
            correcting my previous suggestions. :)

            thanks for actually confirming my ideas.

            lucy