Re: Midwife tattoo script

  • i_degilbor
    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2004
      We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the tyelpetéma.
      Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had the
      form of a súle + double under-dots. The keystrokes are:

      Nione Elena Istyanisse - 5%`N5R `Vj$5# `B3ÍD5%,F

      Elpinoine Istyanisse - `VjqT5lY5R `B3ÍD5%,F

      Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
        <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
        > We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the tyelpetéma.
        > Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had the
        > form of a súle + double under-dots.

        Just to make sure, was the tyelpetéma used in the Third Age? Or the
        double dots have replaced the palatal _y_?

        Thanks, Lucy
      • _Neo
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2004
          calwen76 <calwen.rudh@...> írta:

          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
          > <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
          > > We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the
          tyelpetéma.
          > > Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had the
          > > form of a súle + double under-dots.
          >
          > Just to make sure, was the tyelpetéma used in the Third Age? Or the
          > double dots have replaced the palatal _y_?

          Right. Two nuntixi is used to sign palatalisation.

          ACT!

          _Neo

          > Thanks, Lucy
        • i_degilbor
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13, 2004
            Teithant Calwen Rûdh:
            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
            > <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
            > > We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the
            tyelpetéma.
            > > Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had
            the
            > > form of a súle + double under-dots.
            >
            > Just to make sure, was the tyelpetéma used in the Third Age? Or
            the
            > double dots have replaced the palatal _y_?

            The double dots were the identifying mark of the tengwar of the
            tyelpetéma. The tengwar of the tyelpetéma are:
            tinco + double dots = tyelpe = ty
            súle + double dots = istyar = sty
            arya + double dots = arya = ry
            númen + double dots = nyelle = ny
            anto + double dots = intya = nty
            ando + double dots = indyo = ndy
            lambe + double dots = alya = ly
            We see arya, nyelle and alya in Tolkien's calligraphic rendering
            of 'Namárië'. That the two dots would modify 's' (or 'þ') > 'sty'
            does seem odd, but that's the value Tolkien assigned to istyar. It
            is conceivable that 'sty' was an archaic value of súle + double
            dots, and that by the Third Age this sound combination was written
            differently, but we have no evidence of that.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2004
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor" wrote:

              > The double dots were the identifying mark of the tengwar of the
              > tyelpetéma. The tengwar of the tyelpetéma are:
              > tinco + double dots = tyelpe = ty
              > súle + double dots = istyar = sty
              > arya + double dots = arya = ry
              > númen + double dots = nyelle = ny
              > anto + double dots = intya = nty
              > ando + double dots = indyo = ndy
              > lambe + double dots = alya = ly
              > We see arya, nyelle and alya in Tolkien's calligraphic rendering
              > of 'Namárië'. That the two dots would modify 's' (or 'þ') > 'sty'
              > does seem odd, but that's the value Tolkien assigned to istyar. It
              > is conceivable that 'sty' was an archaic value of súle + double
              > dots, and that by the Third Age this sound combination was written
              > differently, but we have no evidence of that.

              Yes, yes, but were the _tengwar with extended stems_ that were used
              in the First Age for palatal sounds also used in the Third Age? I
              think that not because they were replaced by tengwar with normal,
              short or long stem plus double dot (for the _y_ sound).

              Lucy
            • machhezan
              Message 6 of 9 , May 14, 2004
                Lucy wrote:
                > Yes, yes, but were the _tengwar with extended stems_ that were used
                > in the First Age for palatal sounds also used in the Third Age?

                ?

                I thought that the tyeller with extended stems were used for aspirated
                stops (such as 't + h, p + h', etc.) or for other kinds of
                articulation if required.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 14, 2004
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "machhezan" <machhezan@g...> wrote:
                  > I thought that the tyeller with extended stems were used for
                  aspirated
                  > stops (such as 't + h, p + h', etc.) or for other kinds of
                  > articulation if required.

                  Seems like I've been confused confusing others as well...

                  My apologies... Lucy