Re: Midwife tattoo script

    Message 1 of 9 , May 11 5:59 AM
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Christine" <c_wieberdink@w...>
      wrote:
      > Hello everyone! I've been working hard on translation, and the
      > script. I am now ready for the final step, having someone check my
      > script! I have uploaded it to the files section under "midwife
      > tattoo script". The phrases are our names with Istyanisse (lore-
      > woman, knowledge woman) after it.
      >
      > Nione Elena Istyanisse (Deborah Star Lorewoman)
      > Elpinoine Istyanisse (Christine Lorewoman)

      hello,
      the first line reads: elpenion istyaniss; second line reads: nion
      lenea istyaniss. :)

      You need to add some omatehtar (end-vowels) and reverse the _Elena_
      word from Sindarin mode to Quenya mode. Good job, anyways! Go on! :)

      Lucy
    • i_degilbor
      Message 2 of 9 , May 11 7:17 AM
        We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the tyelpetéma.
        Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had the
        form of a súle + double under-dots. The keystrokes are:

        Nione Elena Istyanisse - 5%`N5R `Vj$5# `B3ÍD5%,F

        Elpinoine Istyanisse - `VjqT5lY5R `B3ÍD5%,F

        Message 3 of 9 , May 11 11:30 PM
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
          <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
          > We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the tyelpetéma.
          > Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had the
          > form of a súle + double under-dots.

          Just to make sure, was the tyelpetéma used in the Third Age? Or the
          double dots have replaced the palatal _y_?

          Thanks, Lucy
        • _Neo
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13 7:56 AM
            calwen76 <calwen.rudh@...> írta:

            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
            > <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
            > > We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the
            tyelpetéma.
            > > Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had the
            > > form of a súle + double under-dots.
            >
            > Just to make sure, was the tyelpetéma used in the Third Age? Or the
            > double dots have replaced the palatal _y_?

            Right. Two nuntixi is used to sign palatalisation.

            ACT!

            _Neo

            > Thanks, Lucy
          • i_degilbor
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13 1:56 PM
              Teithant Calwen Rûdh:
              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
              > <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
              > > We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the
              tyelpetéma.
              > > Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had
              the
              > > form of a súle + double under-dots.
              >
              > Just to make sure, was the tyelpetéma used in the Third Age? Or
              the
              > double dots have replaced the palatal _y_?

              The double dots were the identifying mark of the tengwar of the
              tyelpetéma. The tengwar of the tyelpetéma are:
              tinco + double dots = tyelpe = ty
              súle + double dots = istyar = sty
              arya + double dots = arya = ry
              númen + double dots = nyelle = ny
              anto + double dots = intya = nty
              ando + double dots = indyo = ndy
              lambe + double dots = alya = ly
              We see arya, nyelle and alya in Tolkien's calligraphic rendering
              of 'Namárië'. That the two dots would modify 's' (or 'þ') > 'sty'
              does seem odd, but that's the value Tolkien assigned to istyar. It
              is conceivable that 'sty' was an archaic value of súle + double
              dots, and that by the Third Age this sound combination was written
              differently, but we have no evidence of that.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 13 11:40 PM
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor" wrote:

                > The double dots were the identifying mark of the tengwar of the
                > tyelpetéma. The tengwar of the tyelpetéma are:
                > tinco + double dots = tyelpe = ty
                > súle + double dots = istyar = sty
                > arya + double dots = arya = ry
                > númen + double dots = nyelle = ny
                > anto + double dots = intya = nty
                > ando + double dots = indyo = ndy
                > lambe + double dots = alya = ly
                > We see arya, nyelle and alya in Tolkien's calligraphic rendering
                > of 'Namárië'. That the two dots would modify 's' (or 'þ') > 'sty'
                > does seem odd, but that's the value Tolkien assigned to istyar. It
                > is conceivable that 'sty' was an archaic value of súle + double
                > dots, and that by the Third Age this sound combination was written
                > differently, but we have no evidence of that.

                Yes, yes, but were the _tengwar with extended stems_ that were used
                in the First Age for palatal sounds also used in the Third Age? I
                think that not because they were replaced by tengwar with normal,
                short or long stem plus double dot (for the _y_ sound).

                Lucy
              • machhezan
                Message 7 of 9 , May 14 4:13 AM
                  Lucy wrote:
                  > Yes, yes, but were the _tengwar with extended stems_ that were used
                  > in the First Age for palatal sounds also used in the Third Age?

                  ?

                  I thought that the tyeller with extended stems were used for aspirated
                  stops (such as 't + h, p + h', etc.) or for other kinds of
                  articulation if required.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 14 4:23 AM
                    --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "machhezan" <machhezan@g...> wrote:
                    > I thought that the tyeller with extended stems were used for
                    aspirated
                    > stops (such as 't + h, p + h', etc.) or for other kinds of
                    > articulation if required.

                    Seems like I've been confused confusing others as well...

                    My apologies... Lucy