Midwife tattoo script

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2004
      Hello everyone! I've been working hard on translation, and the
      script. I am now ready for the final step, having someone check my
      script! I have uploaded it to the files section under "midwife
      tattoo script". The phrases are our names with Istyanisse (lore-
      woman, knowledge woman) after it.

      Nione Elena Istyanisse (Deborah Star Lorewoman)
      Elpinoine Istyanisse (Christine Lorewoman)

      Could someone check it for me please! I'm so proud of myself for
      doing all this work.

      Elpinoine
      Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Christine" <c_wieberdink@w...>
        wrote:
        > Hello everyone! I've been working hard on translation, and the
        > script. I am now ready for the final step, having someone check my
        > script! I have uploaded it to the files section under "midwife
        > tattoo script". The phrases are our names with Istyanisse (lore-
        > woman, knowledge woman) after it.
        >
        > Nione Elena Istyanisse (Deborah Star Lorewoman)
        > Elpinoine Istyanisse (Christine Lorewoman)

        hello,
        the first line reads: elpenion istyaniss; second line reads: nion
        lenea istyaniss. :)

        You need to add some omatehtar (end-vowels) and reverse the _Elena_
        word from Sindarin mode to Quenya mode. Good job, anyways! Go on! :)

        Lucy
      • i_degilbor
        Message 3 of 9 , May 11, 2004
          We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the tyelpetéma.
          Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had the
          form of a súle + double under-dots. The keystrokes are:

          Nione Elena Istyanisse - 5%`N5R `Vj$5# `B3ÍD5%,F

          Elpinoine Istyanisse - `VjqT5lY5R `B3ÍD5%,F

          Message 4 of 9 , May 11, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
            <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
            > We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the tyelpetéma.
            > Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had the
            > form of a súle + double under-dots.

            Just to make sure, was the tyelpetéma used in the Third Age? Or the
            double dots have replaced the palatal _y_?

            Thanks, Lucy
          • _Neo
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2004
              calwen76 <calwen.rudh@...> írta:

              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
              > <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
              > > We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the
              tyelpetéma.
              > > Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had the
              > > form of a súle + double under-dots.
              >
              > Just to make sure, was the tyelpetéma used in the Third Age? Or the
              > double dots have replaced the palatal _y_?

              Right. Two nuntixi is used to sign palatalisation.

              ACT!

              _Neo

              > Thanks, Lucy
            • i_degilbor
              Message 6 of 9 , May 13, 2004
                Teithant Calwen Rûdh:
                > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
                > <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
                > > We should also remember the Quenya palatal series, the
                tyelpetéma.
                > > Apparently 'sty' was written with the tengwa istyar, which had
                the
                > > form of a súle + double under-dots.
                >
                > Just to make sure, was the tyelpetéma used in the Third Age? Or
                the
                > double dots have replaced the palatal _y_?

                The double dots were the identifying mark of the tengwar of the
                tyelpetéma. The tengwar of the tyelpetéma are:
                tinco + double dots = tyelpe = ty
                súle + double dots = istyar = sty
                arya + double dots = arya = ry
                númen + double dots = nyelle = ny
                anto + double dots = intya = nty
                ando + double dots = indyo = ndy
                lambe + double dots = alya = ly
                We see arya, nyelle and alya in Tolkien's calligraphic rendering
                of 'Namárië'. That the two dots would modify 's' (or 'þ') > 'sty'
                does seem odd, but that's the value Tolkien assigned to istyar. It
                is conceivable that 'sty' was an archaic value of súle + double
                dots, and that by the Third Age this sound combination was written
                differently, but we have no evidence of that.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 13, 2004
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor" wrote:

                  > The double dots were the identifying mark of the tengwar of the
                  > tyelpetéma. The tengwar of the tyelpetéma are:
                  > tinco + double dots = tyelpe = ty
                  > súle + double dots = istyar = sty
                  > arya + double dots = arya = ry
                  > númen + double dots = nyelle = ny
                  > anto + double dots = intya = nty
                  > ando + double dots = indyo = ndy
                  > lambe + double dots = alya = ly
                  > We see arya, nyelle and alya in Tolkien's calligraphic rendering
                  > of 'Namárië'. That the two dots would modify 's' (or 'þ') > 'sty'
                  > does seem odd, but that's the value Tolkien assigned to istyar. It
                  > is conceivable that 'sty' was an archaic value of súle + double
                  > dots, and that by the Third Age this sound combination was written
                  > differently, but we have no evidence of that.

                  Yes, yes, but were the _tengwar with extended stems_ that were used
                  in the First Age for palatal sounds also used in the Third Age? I
                  think that not because they were replaced by tengwar with normal,
                  short or long stem plus double dot (for the _y_ sound).

                  Lucy
                • machhezan
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 14, 2004
                    Lucy wrote:
                    > Yes, yes, but were the _tengwar with extended stems_ that were used
                    > in the First Age for palatal sounds also used in the Third Age?

                    ?

                    I thought that the tyeller with extended stems were used for aspirated
                    stops (such as 't + h, p + h', etc.) or for other kinds of
                    articulation if required.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 14, 2004
                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "machhezan" <machhezan@g...> wrote:
                      > I thought that the tyeller with extended stems were used for
                      aspirated
                      > stops (such as 't + h, p + h', etc.) or for other kinds of
                      > articulation if required.

                      Seems like I've been confused confusing others as well...

                      My apologies... Lucy