Re: I am getting a tattoo for my 36th B-day - please confirm follow up

    Message 1 of 12 , May 10, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "guitarprof68"
      <courtneycherry@y...> wrote:
      > This was sent ot me and makes very little sense - I pass it along
      > the experts:
      >
      > Those seem to be Quenya Tengwar, which is the wrong alphabet. It
      > can still work out, but it wont be 100% authentic. It's Sindarin
      in
      > the
      > Quenya alphabet. It's like writing Music in Greek and English,
      > doesn't work
      > out to well :-/
      >
      > Any comments? I sure like what Lucy's script looks like. Let me
      > know if these is worth ignoring or study?

      The word _lindale_ is a Quenya word, attested in _Ainulindale_
      (SA:lin #2) and as a separate word given as 'lindele' in the
      Etymologies entry LIN2, corrected in VT45:27 to _lindale_. So the
      Quenya mode is appropriate.

      We actually don't know what is the right word for 'music' in
      Sindarin. Maybe *_lindath_ (host of tunes) or *_lindas_ (great tunes)
      could work. Then the transcription would of course differ.

      Lucy
    • guitarprof68
      Message 2 of 12 , May 11, 2004
        Lucy,

        WOW! I am truly impressed. You have taken this to a Phd Thesis kind
        of level. You have convinced me - thanks for you knowledge and
        patience in answering my questions!

        Phil

        PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like. You are welcome to
        e-mail me directly

        ph@...

        Message 3 of 12 , May 12, 2004
          <courtneycherry@y...> wrote:
          > WOW! I am truly impressed. You have taken this to a Phd Thesis
          kind
          > of level. You have convinced me - thanks for you knowledge and
          > patience in answering my questions!

          This is what we all are used to do here when dealing with the
          languages :)

          > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like. You are welcome
          > e-mail me directly
          >
          > ph@s...

          As you can see, Yahoo! forbids to see the whole e-mail address (in
          order to protect them). I've uploaded the picture of *Sindarin
          *_lindath_ and *_linnath_ for 'music' lit. 'host of tunes' in two
          attested modes of Tengwar for Sindarin. Now when I read it for
          myself, I'd say the latter is more plausible to be the right word.

          Let me also correct and complete my previous guesses:
          > > Maybe *_lindath_ (host of tunes)

          or *_linnath_

          > > or *_lindas_ (great tunes)

          no, the translation would rather be sg. 'great tune'; *_linnas_ being
          more plausible to be correct, (for those interested, see e.g. S
          _rammas_ (LR/V:I) 'great wall' < N _rham, rhamb_ 'wall' (S:436) or N
          _thambas, thamas_ 'great hall' < N _tham, thamb_ 'hall' (both E:387-
          8), which would possibly yield S *_thammas_).

          Both *_linnath_ and *_linnas_ are melodious to my ear :)

          Lucy

          p.s. my email address is:
          calwen dot rudh at seznam dot cz (this is the way to elude the Yahoo!
          protection practice).
          Message 4 of 12 , May 12, 2004
            > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like.

            One detail: The form *_lindath_ could appear in archaic Sindarin, but in
            Frodo's day the current form would long have been *_linnath_.

            As a translation of "music", the attested form _lind_ "air, tune" is
            perhaps good enough. Another possible abstract formation could be
            *_linnas_.

            - HKF
            Message 5 of 12 , May 13, 2004
              <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
              > > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like.
              >
              > One detail: The form *_lindath_ could appear in archaic Sindarin,
              but in
              > Frodo's day the current form would long have been *_linnath_.
              >
              > As a translation of "music", the attested form _lind_ "air, tune" is
              > perhaps good enough. Another possible abstract formation could be
              > *_linnas_.
              >
              > - HKF

              Yes, that is exactly the same I've mentioned in my post 3784 while
              correcting my previous suggestions. :)

              thanks for actually confirming my ideas.

              lucy