Re: I am getting a tattoo for my 36th B-day Help please

    Message 1 of 12 , May 9, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "guitarprof68"
      <courtneycherry@y...> wrote:
      > Hi group. I am a music Prof here in Tucson and am going to get my
      > 1st tattoo for my 36 B-day. I would like to know what the elvish
      > word for music might look like. Can anyon send me a screenshot or
      > some kind of high res file so I can print it out and bring it to
      the
      > parlor.
      >
      > Thanks in advance. I want to make sure I don't end up with the
      > elvish word for horse on my ankle.
      >
      > Phil Hemmo

      Hello Phil,
      here you are the Tengwar pic of Quenya _lindale_, which is supposed
      to be the 'Elvish' word for 'music':

      Wait for the others to check it, please.
      Message 2 of 12 , May 10, 2004

        hmmm, this couldn't work, right?

        correct link:

        Sorry, Lucy
      • guitarprof68
        Message 3 of 12 , May 10, 2004
          THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>
          >
          > hmmm, this couldn't work, right?
          >
          > correct link:
          >
          > Sorry, Lucy
        • guitarprof68
          Message 4 of 12 , May 10, 2004
            Thee are 2 ways I have now been sent this. THis way - see below, and
            a secon way with differant squigglies over the 2nd letter - any
            comments?

            PS - fee free to e-mail me directly @

            ph@...

            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>
            >
            > hmmm, this couldn't work, right?
            >
            > correct link:
            >
            > Sorry, Lucy
          • i_degilbor
            Message 5 of 12 , May 10, 2004
              Teithant guitarprof68:
              > Thee are 2 ways I have now been sent this. THis way - see below,
              and
              > a secon way with differant squigglies over the 2nd letter - any
              > comments?

              The transcription provided by Lucy is correct. The triple dots is
              the proper tehta.

              Cuio mae, Danny.
            • guitarprof68
              Message 6 of 12 , May 10, 2004
                This was sent ot me and makes very little sense - I pass it along to
                the experts:

                Those seem to be Quenya Tengwar, which is the wrong alphabet. It
                can still work out, but it wont be 100% authentic. It's Sindarin in
                the
                Quenya alphabet. It's like writing Music in Greek and English,
                doesn't work
                out to well :-/

                Any comments? I sure like what Lucy's script looks like. Let me
                know if these is worth ignoring or study?

                Phil Hemmo

                PS - I thank you all very much for your time on my project. THis is
                somthing i have wanted to do for a long time and the time has come.
                I am a professional musician (several degress in classical guitar,
                University Prof, Music store owner, and published author). I just
                want it to be nice!

                www.southwestguitar.com
                www.rockwithprecious.com

                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"

                Message 7 of 12 , May 10, 2004
                  <courtneycherry@y...> wrote:
                  > This was sent ot me and makes very little sense - I pass it along
                  > the experts:
                  >
                  > Those seem to be Quenya Tengwar, which is the wrong alphabet. It
                  > can still work out, but it wont be 100% authentic. It's Sindarin
                  in
                  > the
                  > Quenya alphabet. It's like writing Music in Greek and English,
                  > doesn't work
                  > out to well :-/
                  >
                  > Any comments? I sure like what Lucy's script looks like. Let me
                  > know if these is worth ignoring or study?

                  The word _lindale_ is a Quenya word, attested in _Ainulindale_
                  (SA:lin #2) and as a separate word given as 'lindele' in the
                  Etymologies entry LIN2, corrected in VT45:27 to _lindale_. So the
                  Quenya mode is appropriate.

                  We actually don't know what is the right word for 'music' in
                  Sindarin. Maybe *_lindath_ (host of tunes) or *_lindas_ (great tunes)
                  could work. Then the transcription would of course differ.

                  Lucy
                • guitarprof68
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 11, 2004
                    Lucy,

                    WOW! I am truly impressed. You have taken this to a Phd Thesis kind
                    of level. You have convinced me - thanks for you knowledge and
                    patience in answering my questions!

                    Phil

                    PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like. You are welcome to
                    e-mail me directly

                    ph@...

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 12, 2004
                      <courtneycherry@y...> wrote:
                      > WOW! I am truly impressed. You have taken this to a Phd Thesis
                      kind
                      > of level. You have convinced me - thanks for you knowledge and
                      > patience in answering my questions!

                      This is what we all are used to do here when dealing with the
                      languages :)

                      > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like. You are welcome
                      > e-mail me directly
                      >
                      > ph@s...

                      As you can see, Yahoo! forbids to see the whole e-mail address (in
                      order to protect them). I've uploaded the picture of *Sindarin
                      *_lindath_ and *_linnath_ for 'music' lit. 'host of tunes' in two
                      attested modes of Tengwar for Sindarin. Now when I read it for
                      myself, I'd say the latter is more plausible to be the right word.

                      Let me also correct and complete my previous guesses:
                      > > Maybe *_lindath_ (host of tunes)

                      or *_linnath_

                      > > or *_lindas_ (great tunes)

                      no, the translation would rather be sg. 'great tune'; *_linnas_ being
                      more plausible to be correct, (for those interested, see e.g. S
                      _rammas_ (LR/V:I) 'great wall' < N _rham, rhamb_ 'wall' (S:436) or N
                      _thambas, thamas_ 'great hall' < N _tham, thamb_ 'hall' (both E:387-
                      8), which would possibly yield S *_thammas_).

                      Both *_linnath_ and *_linnas_ are melodious to my ear :)

                      Lucy

                      p.s. my email address is:
                      calwen dot rudh at seznam dot cz (this is the way to elude the Yahoo!
                      protection practice).
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 12, 2004
                        > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like.

                        One detail: The form *_lindath_ could appear in archaic Sindarin, but in
                        Frodo's day the current form would long have been *_linnath_.

                        As a translation of "music", the attested form _lind_ "air, tune" is
                        perhaps good enough. Another possible abstract formation could be
                        *_linnas_.

                        - HKF
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 13, 2004
                          <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
                          > > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like.
                          >
                          > One detail: The form *_lindath_ could appear in archaic Sindarin,
                          but in
                          > Frodo's day the current form would long have been *_linnath_.
                          >
                          > As a translation of "music", the attested form _lind_ "air, tune" is
                          > perhaps good enough. Another possible abstract formation could be
                          > *_linnas_.
                          >
                          > - HKF

                          Yes, that is exactly the same I've mentioned in my post 3784 while
                          correcting my previous suggestions. :)

                          thanks for actually confirming my ideas.

                          lucy