I am getting a tattoo for my 36th B-day Help please

  • guitarprof68
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8 12:12 AM
      Hi group. I am a music Prof here in Tucson and am going to get my
      1st tattoo for my 36 B-day. I would like to know what the elvish
      word for music might look like. Can anyon send me a screenshot or
      some kind of high res file so I can print it out and bring it to the
      parlor.

      Thanks in advance. I want to make sure I don't end up with the
      elvish word for horse on my ankle.

      Phil Hemmo
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9 11:56 PM
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "guitarprof68"
        <courtneycherry@y...> wrote:
        > Hi group. I am a music Prof here in Tucson and am going to get my
        > 1st tattoo for my 36 B-day. I would like to know what the elvish
        > word for music might look like. Can anyon send me a screenshot or
        > some kind of high res file so I can print it out and bring it to
        the
        > parlor.
        >
        > Thanks in advance. I want to make sure I don't end up with the
        > elvish word for horse on my ankle.
        >
        > Phil Hemmo

        Hello Phil,
        here you are the Tengwar pic of Quenya _lindale_, which is supposed
        to be the 'Elvish' word for 'music':

        Wait for the others to check it, please.
        Message 3 of 12 , May 10 12:14 AM

          hmmm, this couldn't work, right?

          correct link:

          Sorry, Lucy
        • guitarprof68
          Message 4 of 12 , May 10 1:02 PM
            THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>
            >
            > hmmm, this couldn't work, right?
            >
            > correct link:
            >
            > Sorry, Lucy
          • guitarprof68
            Message 5 of 12 , May 10 2:40 PM
              Thee are 2 ways I have now been sent this. THis way - see below, and
              a secon way with differant squigglies over the 2nd letter - any
              comments?

              PS - fee free to e-mail me directly @

              ph@...

              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>
              >
              > hmmm, this couldn't work, right?
              >
              > correct link:
              >
              > Sorry, Lucy
            • i_degilbor
              Message 6 of 12 , May 10 4:44 PM
                Teithant guitarprof68:
                > Thee are 2 ways I have now been sent this. THis way - see below,
                and
                > a secon way with differant squigglies over the 2nd letter - any
                > comments?

                The transcription provided by Lucy is correct. The triple dots is
                the proper tehta.

                Cuio mae, Danny.
              • guitarprof68
                Message 7 of 12 , May 10 10:49 PM
                  This was sent ot me and makes very little sense - I pass it along to
                  the experts:

                  Those seem to be Quenya Tengwar, which is the wrong alphabet. It
                  can still work out, but it wont be 100% authentic. It's Sindarin in
                  the
                  Quenya alphabet. It's like writing Music in Greek and English,
                  doesn't work
                  out to well :-/

                  Any comments? I sure like what Lucy's script looks like. Let me
                  know if these is worth ignoring or study?

                  Phil Hemmo

                  PS - I thank you all very much for your time on my project. THis is
                  somthing i have wanted to do for a long time and the time has come.
                  I am a professional musician (several degress in classical guitar,
                  University Prof, Music store owner, and published author). I just
                  want it to be nice!

                  www.southwestguitar.com
                  www.rockwithprecious.com

                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 10 11:20 PM
                    <courtneycherry@y...> wrote:
                    > This was sent ot me and makes very little sense - I pass it along
                    > the experts:
                    >
                    > Those seem to be Quenya Tengwar, which is the wrong alphabet. It
                    > can still work out, but it wont be 100% authentic. It's Sindarin
                    in
                    > the
                    > Quenya alphabet. It's like writing Music in Greek and English,
                    > doesn't work
                    > out to well :-/
                    >
                    > Any comments? I sure like what Lucy's script looks like. Let me
                    > know if these is worth ignoring or study?

                    The word _lindale_ is a Quenya word, attested in _Ainulindale_
                    (SA:lin #2) and as a separate word given as 'lindele' in the
                    Etymologies entry LIN2, corrected in VT45:27 to _lindale_. So the
                    Quenya mode is appropriate.

                    We actually don't know what is the right word for 'music' in
                    Sindarin. Maybe *_lindath_ (host of tunes) or *_lindas_ (great tunes)
                    could work. Then the transcription would of course differ.

                    Lucy
                  • guitarprof68
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 11 8:00 AM
                      Lucy,

                      WOW! I am truly impressed. You have taken this to a Phd Thesis kind
                      of level. You have convinced me - thanks for you knowledge and
                      patience in answering my questions!

                      Phil

                      PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like. You are welcome to
                      e-mail me directly

                      ph@...

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 12 12:30 AM
                        <courtneycherry@y...> wrote:
                        > WOW! I am truly impressed. You have taken this to a Phd Thesis
                        kind
                        > of level. You have convinced me - thanks for you knowledge and
                        > patience in answering my questions!

                        This is what we all are used to do here when dealing with the
                        languages :)

                        > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like. You are welcome
                        > e-mail me directly
                        >
                        > ph@s...

                        As you can see, Yahoo! forbids to see the whole e-mail address (in
                        order to protect them). I've uploaded the picture of *Sindarin
                        *_lindath_ and *_linnath_ for 'music' lit. 'host of tunes' in two
                        attested modes of Tengwar for Sindarin. Now when I read it for
                        myself, I'd say the latter is more plausible to be the right word.

                        Let me also correct and complete my previous guesses:
                        > > Maybe *_lindath_ (host of tunes)

                        or *_linnath_

                        > > or *_lindas_ (great tunes)

                        no, the translation would rather be sg. 'great tune'; *_linnas_ being
                        more plausible to be correct, (for those interested, see e.g. S
                        _rammas_ (LR/V:I) 'great wall' < N _rham, rhamb_ 'wall' (S:436) or N
                        _thambas, thamas_ 'great hall' < N _tham, thamb_ 'hall' (both E:387-
                        8), which would possibly yield S *_thammas_).

                        Both *_linnath_ and *_linnas_ are melodious to my ear :)

                        Lucy

                        p.s. my email address is:
                        calwen dot rudh at seznam dot cz (this is the way to elude the Yahoo!
                        protection practice).
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 12 12:59 PM
                          > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like.

                          One detail: The form *_lindath_ could appear in archaic Sindarin, but in
                          Frodo's day the current form would long have been *_linnath_.

                          As a translation of "music", the attested form _lind_ "air, tune" is
                          perhaps good enough. Another possible abstract formation could be
                          *_linnas_.

                          - HKF
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 13 12:24 AM
                            <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
                            > > PS WHat would Lindath (host of tunes) look like.
                            >
                            > One detail: The form *_lindath_ could appear in archaic Sindarin,
                            but in
                            > Frodo's day the current form would long have been *_linnath_.
                            >
                            > As a translation of "music", the attested form _lind_ "air, tune" is
                            > perhaps good enough. Another possible abstract formation could be
                            > *_linnas_.
                            >
                            > - HKF

                            Yes, that is exactly the same I've mentioned in my post 3784 while
                            correcting my previous suggestions. :)

                            thanks for actually confirming my ideas.

                            lucy