Re: Names translation

  • uialdil
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2001
      Teithant Mike Abrigon:
      > > Like mine in Mike, but it is Michael, which is "Like on to God"
      > > or something. Actually more like "Like on to thr Lord". Which
      > > would be interesting to translate into Quenya and Tengwar. The
      > > version I did my self, changes Michael (Miikul) as something lime
      > > Kimbatul or like.
      > >
      > > Mike

      Actually, 'who is like unto God' is correct; 'El' means 'God' in Hebrew, no=
      t 'Lord' (which is 'Adonai'). According to Helge Hauskanger and Ales Bican, =
      'Manveru' is the Quenya translation for Michael. It is a contraction for 'Ma=
      n (ná) ve Eru' = 'Who (is) like God'. I trust their judgment. And it's cool =
      in tengwar!

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • Abrigon
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2001
        I did my own version of Tengwar years ago. I can only remember some of
        them to this day.

        El is that not like Al, namely The
        Ah is like Lord.

        But, I am a dirt scholar, so will have to check again.

        Allah = The Lord. Or Lord God?

        Mike