Re: Translation verification for a name...

  • uialdil
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 22, 2001
      Teithant Gildor Inglorion:
      > * transcription, not translation :)

      >Yup!

      > i agree with the result of Tengscribe... however for starshine you should=
      have used Roomen for r, Calma with extended stems for sh and Nuumen for n..=
      . your tehtar are good...

      Check it again...it DOES say 'starFIRE', NOT 'starSHINE'. And óre is correc=
      t, not rómen since it represents a pre-consonantal 'r' rather than the prev=
      ocalic 'r' denoted by 'rómen'.

      > for the Cirth, I think you should use I instead of long E at the end

      True, since 'i' and 'y' represent the same sound in English. As far as that=
      goes, iota and ypsilon represent the same sound in Greek as well (except, o=
      f course, in diphthongs!)

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 22, 2001

        teithant SfStarfire

        > Thank ya, Gildor!

        * you are most welcome

        > Funny that the 3rd line came back around as Starshine; it went into

        the Scribe as Starfire.  I figure there that Quenya has words to
        match both star and fire seperatedly, but I let the Scribe do the
        work for me; figured it would be close.

        * oh, it was indeed Starfire? I thought it was a wrong attempt for Starshine!! my apologies... then your word seems to be correct although he second _r_ should be Roomen instead of Oore

        > For the Cirth runes, I actually came close to doing the rune for EE,

        but in looking at some of the writings of the Cirth on the web, it
        looked like either would work.  I looked for similar sounding words
        on the "first" pages of LotR that a number of web sites paid
        attention to.  I'm just happen that I was at least partially
        close... Cirth looks like it lends itself more to English; given the
        presumed anglo-saxon roots of the language, it makes sense.

        * but i think [randi] would be more close to Randy than [rande:]... in Cirth long e is pronounced as.. er.. 'long e' and not as 'long i' in English "meet"

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 22, 2001

          teithant uialdil

          > i agree with the result of Tengscribe... however for starshine you should=

          have used Roomen for r, Calma with extended stems for sh and Nuumen for n..=
          . your tehtar are good...

          > Check it again...it DOES say 'starFIRE', NOT 'starSHINE'. And σre is correc=
          t, not rσmen since it represents a pre-consonantal 'r' rather than the  prev=
          ocalic 'r' denoted by 'rσmen'.

          ** yup... i wrongly thought he intended to write 'starshine'.. still only the fist 'r' sould be Oore

        • DDanielA@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 23, 2001
            Teithant Gildor Inglorion:
            **yup... i wrongly thought he
            intended to write 'starshine'...
            still only the fist 'r' sould be
            Oore

            I disagree. In the King's Letter (Version I) and the "Errantry"
            calligraphy manuscripts, JRRT uses oore to represent 'r' before a final
            silent 'e', not roomen. In other words, an 'e' that is silent in
            standard British English is written as oore; 'fire' fits into this
            category. [fai@] (where @ represents the schwa). See especially his
            transliteration of 'Shire' in the King's Letter, Version I.

            Cuio mae, Danny.
          • SfStarfire
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 23, 2001
              > * oh, it was indeed Starfire? I thought it was a wrong attempt for
              Starshine!! my apologies... then your word seems to be correct
              although he second _r_ should be Roomen instead of Oore

              Roomen b/c it's pre-vowel? And does that rule apply if it's
              a "silent" vowel?

              > * but i think [randi] would be more close to Randy than
              [rande:]... in Cirth long e is pronounced as.. er.. 'long e' and not
              as 'long i' in English "meet"

              Ironically enough, I've spelled Randy as Randee for fun during the
              80s... that whole MTV Redwoods thingy. Either works for me,
              actually; I just wanted to make sure I had it mostly right!

              Thanks again,
              Sf
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 23, 2001

                teithant SfStarfire

                > Roomen b/c it's pre-vowel?  And does that rule apply if it's a "silent" vowel?

                * well no... oore must be used here... I am not very good at tengwar-elvish orthography.. sorry for the inconvenience :(

              • SfStarfire
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 27, 2001
                  Hey, I'm the TRUE novice here - didn't you see what my translation
                  was before I found the Scribe? :)