Re: New file uploaded to elfscript

  • machhezan
    Message 1 of 91 , Apr 18, 2004
      Harri Perälä wrote:
      > How English should or should not be written with tengwar is a
      > territory I find rather confusing, so I will not make any
      > prescriptive comments. However, I can tell you how I think Tolkien
      > might have written the word, if it had appeared in some particular
      > tengwar inscription.

      I agree completely, but I fear that my wordings haven't always been
      careful enough in this respect.

      > http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/elfscript/thirteen.gif shows the probable
      > spelling in two documents:
      > - DTS 5 - The Lord of the Rings Title-page Tengwar (Corrected)
      > (compare "forth", "seen")

      In spite of the attested spelling of <ee> in DTS 5, we might consider
      an unattested doubled acute according to the spelling of the word
      _too_ found in DTS 10. This presupposes that the spelling of <ee> is
      analogical to the spelling of <oo>. Also, the example of _too_ is
      problematic since the doubled o-tehta of this word is put on the
      preceding tengwa, not on the following like in the rest of the
      document. So, we need a second presupposition: that the tengwar-tehtar
      order doesn't have any influence on the use of the doubled tehtar for
      <oo> (and <ee>).

      The benefit of this unattested spelling is that it's according to a
      general tendency in tengwar spelling: that syllables have only one
      vowel sign.

    • elfscript@yahoogroups.com
      Message 91 of 91 , Jul 7, 2009
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the elfscript
        group.

        File : /check request/havehope.jpg
        Uploaded by : gcbosma <gcbosma@...>
        Description : Should read Have Hope in Sindarin, Sindarin Classic mode, Tengwar Annatar cursive script

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        gcbosma <gcbosma@...>